Temp adjust on the gas hot water heater?

vesteroid

If I run strictly on gas the water does not get very hot. Its coming on and burning, but the cut off temp seems to be way below where the cut off temp is on my electric.

Is there an adjustment somewhere (under that black cap perhaps?)

Rickhansen

Sorry, Not adjustable, other than replacing the temperature control with a slightly higher temperature setting. I think the gas and electric are controlled from the same thermal switches, both the controlling device and the high limit. Not sure of the age of your rig, but another possibility is that you have sediment buildup in the bottom of the tank. This comes from scale from the water, the anode rod, etc. That could be making the hot water heater less efficient and the water at a different temperature between gas and electric operation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What's under the black caps are reset switches should the water temp exceed the high limit and they trip. Kinda like a circuit breaker. One is for 12V and the other is for 120V. So maybe, repeat maybe, the 12V tripped while on propane some other time, or just because it felt like it. Try pushing it. If it clicks, it was tripped. If it doesn't, that ain't the problem.

You can find a pretty good description in the operator manual for the water heater.

hoefler

Check the color of the flame, if it is not blue, you need to have the burner cleaned. Also check for any nest in the burner chamber where the flame shoots in. If there is a blockage of any kind, it will affect the heating of the unit.

vesteroid

sorry should have mentioned its a brand new rig.

I know the resets are fine, there is another black cover that seem moulded and screwed on lower down below the resets.

Guess it doesnt matter whats under it lol as its not adjustable.

Was just trying to not take it in to the dealer.

Has several other problems so maybe I should just take it in.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Under that black cover that is screwed on is the 120 volt heating element.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

Even if it is a new unit, if it has set any where very long at all, you can get critters in the combustion chamber.