6 PT or 12 PT Socket Set

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
As I am not a mechanic and have not really done a lot of wrench turning. But I am looking at buying a new 1/2 drive socket set to go with the torque wrench that I also bought. I have been told that since I would not be using the sockets with the torque wrench that I should just buy a socket set and not a impact set. What is the reason that I would buy a 6 pt or a 12 pt set? Looking to buy and I see a nice 12 pt out there but is it better or worse than a 6 pt?

Bighurt

I have full sets of each in pretty much SA and Metric for both 1/2" and 3/8" drive sets. I don't have deep well 6 point metric atm...it's on fathers day list. Pretty sure my 3/4" set is all 12 point and is SA I don't have anything metric over 30 mm.

Anyways 6 point is the ideal tool as mentioned previously so you don't round nut shoulders. However you need a fair amount of room to use them, particularly with a breaker bar or non ratcheting implement. When you get down into the engine compartment a 6 point socket isn't your friend. This is why box end wrenches are 12 point. If you have good fasteners, and use the correct size a 12 point set is perfect for the rig and it's what I carry. The issue is high torqued fasteners, old corroded fasteners and the unknown metric fasteners on American made equipment...

Those three cases are the primary cause of rounding a bolt or nuts shoulders. If I'm breaking torque on something near capacity of the bolt (research bolt torque charts) I start with a 6 point if possible, same with torquing a fastener.

Cheers

jnbhobe

I have both 6 & 12 point in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 I try to use a 6 point to get it loosened then I will use a 12 point. Also you can interchange some metric and SAE but its best to have both metric and SAE.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
A good set of vice grips and a hammer and you should be good to go:eek:...
No, just kidding. I have both 6 & 12 but use the 6 point more. I actually use my gear wrenches more than my sockets though. I have both metric and SAE.

hoefler

If you purchase high quality sockets, Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc.. the 6 points are thinner wall and will out perform than their cheaper 6 point counter parts. I used to turn wrenches in a Kenworth shop and have a box full of 6 point sockets. I intentionally bought the 6 points over the 12 points, impact and non, they will work 99% of the time on corroded or rounded off by some one else nuts and bolts. I even have 6 point box socket wrenches as well. If you go out and by Buffalo or similar brand, the wall thickness is unreal, and if you look closely, the socket is even off center.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Late one night, several years ago, while enjoying another adult beverage (one in a line of them), I was watching an infomercial for the "Metrinch Set." It's a combined set of sockets and box wrenches that will fit either metric or SAE sizes. They're designed to put the force on the flats of the fastener, not the corners. So, I sent for them and it's been one of the best tool purchases I've made.

I've also learned that watching informercials while imbibing can be hazardous to your wallet.

rebootsemi

If you purchase high quality sockets, Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc.. the 6 points are thinner wall and will out perform than their cheaper 6 point counter parts. I used to turn wrenches in a Kenworth shop and have a box full of 6 point sockets. I intentionally bought the 6 points over the 12 points, impact and non, they will work 99% of the time on corroded or rounded off by some one else nuts and bolts. I even have 6 point box socket wrenches as well. If you go out and by Buffalo or similar brand, the wall thickness is unreal, and if you look closely, the socket is even off center.

Get some good quality 6 point sets, Sears or Matco are fairly good quality and warrantied for ever, plus there is a Sears or Lowes in most locations. I haven't seen a 12 point nut or bolt since I left Douglas Aircraft in 69. I like hoefler have a rollaway full of Snap-on high end wrenches and sockets. Not needed unless that is what you do all day everyday. 6 point SAE and Metric sockets, combo wrenches, just love the ratcheting wrench set.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As Lee and others have stated. Get a good quality tool set. Sears tools are alot better than they used to be. Use 6 PT sockets when ever you can. Also get a set of square screw bits. Most of the screws that hold stuff on your coach are a square screw not philips. Get a screw driver that you can change bits on...even better if it's a magnetic driver. Get a good thin wall impact socket for the lug nuts. The only statement I will make about chrome sockets is...."if you ever have a chrome 12 PT socket break while using it....it will do alot of damage to your hand."

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks everyone for your comments. I believe I will go with the 6 pt ones since it seems most usually use them unless they have tight quarters and need to get in there easier. Thanks for the good lesson on tools as I don't have the issue of not being able to do almost anything I set my mind to. I found out a long time ago that a person can do almost anything as long as they are not afraid to try. As I always say "Cant never did anything". Thanks so much for the help. Michael

Bob&Patty

Michael, you might also invest in a 18V cordless drill. Get a 1/4" drive bit for the drill and some metric and SAE 1/4" sockets and extensions. You will be surprised how much power they have. Unless it's something really big...that's all I use when working on the Horn. I you look a round at HD and Lowes. Sometimes they have sets on sale that include flashlites and chargers. Have a drill motor, flashlite and a charger in the Horn and the last set I bought had a dustbuster in it. Makita and Ryobe make good ones.

hoefler

Michael, you might also invest in a 18V cordless drill. Get a 1/4" drive bit for the drill and some metric and SAE 1/4" sockets and extensions. You will be surprised how much power they have. Unless it's something really big...that's all I use when working on the Horn. I you look a round at HD and Lowes. Sometimes they have sets on sale that include flashlites and chargers. Have a drill motor, flashlite and a charger in the Horn and the last set I bought had a dustbuster in it. Makita and Ryobe make good ones.

Good idea, but if you really want to run some bolts, get a impact driver. I use one daily, and would not be with out it! You can also purchase an electric 1/2" impact gun as well. I have one sitting in the Landmark all the time, runs the wheel lugs off with ease.

Bob&Patty

Just do like the rest of us...DON'T tell her. The best line of BS you can give her is " honey this old thing...I have had for years". Sometimes they buy it...sometimes they don't. Just don't put it on a credit or debit card. PAY CASH...then lie your way out of it. OR....this might work..."dear you have this 70K RV....gee...all I bought was a lousey tool to work on it for you and I work free don't I ????"

Michael, after you read this your putor will burn to the ground in 30 seconds. That way this advice can't be traced back to me.

Last edited:

JohnDar

One of the benefits of being a hobby woodworker is that I can tell her that the tool will help me make something "just for her." When she wanted some cabinets to store her art supplies, you would not believe how fast she rolled over for an $850 jointer to process the rough cut lumber to make it for her. The 18V Bosch combo drill/impact driver set I just got I told her it would help make the bookcases for one of "her" rooms easier to build. Now that is a sweet tool set.

But, I think she's got me figured out. The UPS delivery guy comes so often for her that I think he's her boyfriend.

Bighurt

I got that to work as well but when the Table saw and Floor standing planer showed up, she wasn't happy. Now I just need a dust collector capable of 400 cu in per minute...

hoefler

I got that to work as well but when the Table saw and Floor standing planer showed up, she wasn't happy. Now I just need a dust collector capable of 400 cu in per minute...

If you like, from when I built my system, I have some sources for a dust collector, gates, and ducting.

hoefler

When I get ask "where did that come from", I usually say "I found it", then she'll say "where", I reply " I don't remember, I have slept since then".

JohnDar

I don't mean to turn this into a woodworking forum (I'm already on one), but I've got a Grizzly 2hp DC with 1 micron canister filter that keeps up with the TS, jointer, and my bench-top planer quite nicely. One of these days, I'll rig up an over-the-blade collector for the TS.