Any experience with the truck wash?

blocker

I was wondering if anyone takes their rig to a truck wash, such as the Blue Beacon to have it cleaned. I've taken my cyclone there before and they really did a pretty good job.
My concern is, with a truck wash place being more of a chemical cleaning than a hand wash, will the chemicals they use hurt the trailer? By hurt the trailer I mean will it cause the seals to dry rot, decals to fade, caulking to deteriorate, and so on or is it safe. Anybody have any bad experiences? Thanks for the input.

Todd

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
blocker, You must be reading my mind. I asked the same question on the Goshen rally thread not more than 3 minutes ago.
I'm worried about chemicals, because I have a Rejex type polymer on my rig.
I'll be watching to see what others have to say here. Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Have used Blue Beacon of several occasions with no issues. Told them not to use any harsh chemicals so they just did a basic soap and water wash.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I did exactly the same thing that Gus did. No harsh chemicals, just soap and water.

We were on our way to Albuquerque when we got behind a semi truck that had a bad turbo and was pumping oil out the exhaust pipe. It soaked the front of the truck and the Bighorn but a Blue Beacon cleaned them right up. So far, no issues.

trvlrerik

I work for Blue Beacon so I can tell people the real deal about washing there. I wash my Cyclone multiple times a month and my rig still looks like new. I would recommend getting a "straight wash" this is a wash with soap and high pressure hot water only, no brushes used. If your rig is very dirty you may request that it be brushed at no additional cost, but I try to avoid brushes IMOP as they may cause micro scratches. Once a month I do get the "full body Rain-X" for an additional $12.00, this stuff works great in bug season to make the front cap more bug resistant and a rain storm will actually rinse off dust from the rig due to the beading effect it has on the paint. This product acts like 303 spray, but does make the roof very slick.

The bay attendants are used to washing RVs but if you have any special concerns just tell the supervisor and they should take care of you. After your wash check your rig and if you find any problems or areas they missed, tell the supervisor on duty and they will take care of it right there.

I may sound like a commercial for Blue Beacon but this company knows who pays their bills, and puts commitment to the customer as priorty 1, this is one of my reasons that I purchased my Heartland, I saw the same commitment to customer service.

lwmcguir

I work for Blue Beacon so I can tell people the real deal about washing there. I wash my Cyclone multiple times a month and my rig still looks like new. I would recommend getting a "straight wash" this is a wash with soap and high pressure hot water only, no brushes used. If your rig is very dirty you may request that it be brushed at no additional cost, but I try to avoid brushes IMOP as they may cause micro scratches. Once a month I do get the "full body Rain-X" for an additional $12.00, this stuff works great in bug season to make the front cap more bug resistant and a rain storm will actually rinse off dust from the rig due to the beading effect it has on the paint. This product acts like 303 spray, but does make the roof very slick.

The bay attendants are used to washing RVs but if you have any special concerns just tell the supervisor and they should take care of you. After your wash check your rig and if you find any problems or areas they missed, tell the supervisor on duty and they will take care of it right there.

I may sound like a commercial for Blue Beacon but this company knows who pays their bills, and puts commitment to the customer as priorty 1, this is one of my reasons that I purchased my Heartland, I saw the same commitment to customer service.

Great Post, thanks for the information. Very helpful as I was thinking about this as well. We take the stock trailers there to get the aluminum brightened every few years.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good info. I went to there internet site and saved the link in my favorites. They had a listing or all their locations. Not bad prices either.

DW_Gray

I've used Blue Beacon several times and I've never had a problem. They do a good job. I also do full walk around but haven't needed any touch-up cleaning yet.

Thanks for the tip on the Rain-X. I'll have to do that next time.

blocker

Thanks for all the feedback. So what about the brightener? Is it just to harsh on rv's, period?

Thanks,
Todd

trvlrerik

Brightener is a diluted acid used to clean aluminum. It will turn unprotected polished aluminum white. If you intend to polish aluminum it is great for cleaning out the micro-pores in aluminum prior to polishing. It will remove any oil based product from ferrous and non ferrous metals, it will also remove surface rust if not to corroded.

Most RVs do not have any benefit from using brightener unless there is a large buildup of brake dust on the rims.

blocker

Brightener is a diluted acid used to clean aluminum. It will turn unprotected polished aluminum white. If you intend to polish aluminum it is great for cleaning out the micro-pores in aluminum prior to polishing. It will remove any oil based product from ferrous and non ferrous metals, it will also remove surface rust if not to corroded.

Most RVs do not have any benefit from using brightener unless there is a large buildup of brake dust on the rims.

Gotcha.. Thanks for your information. Good to know the truck wash is safe. Sure beats the heck out of washing it by hand every time.

Todd