2011 Landmark Augusta/Progressive 50 Amp Surge Protector

irogeo

Please Please Send Immediately Diagram for wiring in Progressive 50 amp surge protector. Have everything tore apart and not sure how to wire? Thx, George

brianharrison

Attachments

• Copy from Wiring of EMS-LCHW50.jpg
    Copy from Wiring of EMS-LCHW50.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 70

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are two versions of the 50A hardwire unit. One has a small LED display on it, the other does not. The one without the LED on the case comes with a wired remote display that you mount inside the rig, where you can see it. That is the one I have, EMS-HW50C. The wiring should be the same, however. You should have gotten instructions with the unit, or you can go to Progressive Dynamic's website and download them.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/index.htm

You will find wiring easier if you look at how the connection has to be fed to the junction terminals and pre-bend the heavy wire before inserting it into the case. That #6 cable is not the most flexible stuff around. Be sure to mount the unit where it can be accessed and will not be damaged should a water leak occur.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have one that I need to install. Got any pics of your hook ups? I really need to get it in soon. Just have not felt like it lately. Michael

JohnDar

I don't have any photos of the insides of the suppressor, but the wiring is basic stuff. And if you happen to get fat fingered and drop the little screw for attaching the ground wires inside it down into the belly of the rig, a #6 machine bolt and nut work just fine. DAMHIKT.

I had some left over 6-3 w/ground cable from wiring my garage, so I used it to run from the breaker panel to the spot I mounted the suppressor (that's the output side) and connected the input side to the cable coming from the shore plug connection. The remote display is simply plugged into the side and mounted inside the trailer. I mounted the suppressor, along with my converter, to a piece of plywood I attached to the frame for the bedroom steps to get them out of harm's way and more accessible.

I'd repost those photos, but I left my external hard drive at home (DUH!) and don't have them on the laptop. If you search, you might find them in previous posts, or I'll put them back on after I get the external drive later this week.

irogeo

Thanks everyone and especially Brian for the phone call. It is up and running and now that it is done it wasn't so bad at all. You are a good group to be associated with.

jpdoggett

I have not added a Surge Protector to my 2011 Augusta yet is the hard wired any better than the one you plug into the land power then plug your power cord into it?

JohnDar

I have not added a Surge Protector to my 2011 Augusta yet is the hard wired any better than the one you plug into the land power then plug your power cord into it?

Functionally, probably no real difference. The hardwired ones, at least the Progressive I have, does have a remote display that you can read inside the trailer. The portable ones can be fitted with a locking device to keep them on the pedestal should some fellow camper feel it would look better on his rig.

Since we're back home for the day (heading back to the rig tomorrow), here's the photos of how I mounted my converter and suppressor. The suppressor is above the converter in the photo. To make them accessible, along with the plumbing behind the UDC, I modified the basement walls with these removeable panels. I've changed the latches to barrel bolts recently.

View attachment 13186View attachment 13187

brianharrison

Progressive offers two different units - one only for surge protection and one for surge and voltage protection (called Power Protection).

The Surge protection unit (no voltage protection) is only offered in portable unit (lower cost of course). The Power protection is offered in a portable or hardwired. I am not aware of any differences in fuctionality - the hardwired and portable Power Protection provide the same functionality.

Take care,
Brian

jpdoggett

Thanks guys for your help, The only problem I have is I have the power cable reel and I quest I can get under the rear end and put a hard wire in under.

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
So before I start this project let me get this straight. I do have a gen set but that does not make a difference. I find the wire that comes from the hose reel and connect that to the surge Protector and then run the wire from the SP back to where that wire is. Or just splice into that wire. And then I have to run the wire for the remote screen of coarse. I opened the area up today and will have to do some clean up in that area first. They put the converter right in front where I will need to craw into to get at anything. I will see what I can do there also.

John and Brian thanks for the pics they defiantly helped.

porthole

Retired

For starters – one less plug to have to deal with as well as the terminals not over heating.
Not visible –not subject to theft. Remote display available. Actually, 2 displays are available.

Thanks guys for your help, The only problem I have is I have the power cable reel and I quest I can get under the rear end and put a hard wire in under.

Somewhere in the basement is the wiring going to your panel box.

I do have a gen set but that does not make a difference. I find the wire that comes from the hose reel and connect that to the surge Protector and then run the wire from the SP back to where that wire is. Or just splice into that wire. And then I have to run the wire for the remote screen of coarse. I opened the area up today and will have to do some clean up in that area first. They put the converter right in front where I will need to craw into to get at anything. I will see what I can do there also.

Factory genny? Then it should have am auto transfer switch. Wire the Progressive in after the transfer switch.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135047&viewfull=1#post135047

ParkIt

Clean job there Porthole, like how you put a vent in the cover (most don't consider that) but when it works like a CPU of a computer you need a heavy fan & way to vent the heat it generates. Was thinking of doing the exact same but hadn't seen any pictures posted that were a bit newer in date :)

JohnDar

Been following this thread, so the only photos of a vent are mine (I think?). The vent in the access panel was originally mounted about where it is now, in the wall panel. It simply unscrewed from the wall and I cut a hole in the plywood panel I made to fit it. Originally, the converter was mounted against the back wall of the basement, under the toilet and the flusher anti-siphon valve, with the fan and fuses aimed at the wall. Now it's directly behind the vent panel, about 8 inches from it.