MPG Screen Room?

marc515

For you guys who have/had the MPG screen room, what do you like/dislike about it?

What is the cost of the screen room?

Thank you

bigTdrop

We do not have one on our 181, but seriously considered it at one point, until we found out how much it cost, that is. I forget the figure now, but it was shockingly expensive. To me, it also looks like a hassle to put up. We're still considering an awning but really, our nice large umbrella is getting the job done just fine for now.

MPG185-GA

We live in bug country and the awning has served us well. We made the package deal with the dealer at purchase of the trailer. It's sort of a "best fit" item as it was not specifcially designed for the MPG. You need to make some modifications to it to keep it bug free but I won't leave home without it. The screen portions can be removed and use just as an awning if desired. Takes a little practice to throw it up but now the two of us can erect it in under 10 minutes....

marc515

Forgot to ask; if you don't use the MPG screen room/tent, what are you guys using for an awing and screen room?

Thank you

kb0zke

Our dealer quoted us a price of $750 (if I remember correctly), and said he would honor that price later on. He suggested we not get it at first. We've not yet been out with the mpg when the bugs are out, so we'll see. We have an EZ-up type of screen to go over the campsite picnic table, if we want to use it. Of course, we're used to tent camping, so this is rather luxurious for us.

mlo166

to MPG185-GA:
I am working on a project to attach our existing canopy to our MPG. Before I continue, could you send a picture of your awning system. At the time of our MPG purchase over a year ago, the awnings were not offered - did not exist! Heartland put an awning attachment rack on the MPG anyway! (But it is curved!)

My email address is morgan166@aol.com.

Tom and Rhonda
concord, georgia
Happy MPG'ers

We are now the proud owners of the 2011 MPG 181, not even a week now! Have taken her out on her maiden voyage this past weekend in florida; the bugs have not reached their peak yet but we're wanting the screened awning/room anyway. We were wondering how this system works, i.e. how easy is it to install onto the track, is this something that once you break camp is it able to 'roll' up tight next to the TT for the next time or do you take it down. :confused:

jimtoo

Hi haulinhome,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't help you with your question, but someone will give us an answer soon I'm sure. Have fun with your new unit and make lots of great memories with your MPG.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thank you so much, your kind words are encouraging and we are very much looking forward to being a part of the Heartland family.

Hi haulinhome,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't help you with your question, but someone will give us an answer soon I'm sure. Have fun with your new unit and make lots of great memories with your MPG.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MPG185-GA

You will find there are two different sized screen rooms shown on these posts. The one I have does not stay on during travel. The other screen room rolls up and is stored in a bag that remains in the track. Once you are familiar with the installation it will take about 10 minutes to setup. Comes down just as easy and in the bag. There are pictures of both setups on the previous postings.

marc515

What are the dimensioins of the screen room/dome? We want to buy an indoor/outdoor mat.

Thank you

Did you order your screen room thru Heartland or another provider? We've seen the example on the Heartland MPG video online and then we've seen another type through Camping World that is called a cabana-awning "for pop-ups" but we were informed that this type would fit the MPG (slides thru the track).
Any input or direction?

jimtoo

Hi ptarthur2,

Hope you make many great memories with your new MPG.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MPG185-GA

Once you receive it and set it up you will see that you have to make a few adjustments to make it fit the MPG. If you have the large one like we do, you will need to find a way to secure the outside edges to the MPG. WE use bungy chords to wrap it around the sides. Also, the bottom screen will need adjustments to make for a bug free environment. I cut mine into 3 sections to fit behind the steps and tires. I secure it with strong industrial magnets to the frame. Takes a little ingenuity, but you can manage a bug free envirnoment. We love ours.....enjoy the camping!

ptarthur2

My dome awning arrived a couple of weeks ago but there has been some confusion with my dealer about getting it installed. The awning is the same as the one described by MPG185-GA and likewise I discovered that it will take some "creative engineering" on my part to seal secure the edges of the awning to my MPG camper and to seal the area around the bottom edge of the camper, steps and tire to keep the bugs out. This awning comes from Dometic and it's approximately 13 feet across the back where it joins on the the camper. It extends about 8 feet out from the camper and it appears to be about 10 feet across the door end so it is not completely square. As you can see in the pictures that I have included below, there is a section on each side of the awning from where it attaches along the roof line above the door down the ground that is desinged to be fastened to the side of the camper by snaps. Unfortunately there is some concern about moisture getting into the walls if the required holes to accommodate the snap fastners. After my dealer contacted Heartland about the installation they were advised to not drill the holes so I'll have to try some other method of securing the sides to the camper. I've also included a picture of the bottom screen that goes across the bottom of the steps and wheel to keep bugs out. It looks like it was designed to slide into a track like the dome awning does across the top but there is no track across the bottom of the camper to put it in. I think I'll try the magnets that MPG 185-GA mentioned and see how that works for me. It really does only take about 10 to 15 minutes to set up or take down and it all goes into the green bag that you can also see in the included picture. Even without the extra effort required to seal out the bugs it provides a nice shade but it sure would have been much better if a means of making it bug proof was provided by the factory.

2011-07-22_19-54-27_125.jpg2011-07-22_19-52-55_60.jpg2011-07-22_19-57-27_413.jpg2011-07-22_20-14-40_772.jpg

marc515

The screen room was a nice idea, but Heartland rushed out the MPG without perfecting the screen room.

I saw an R-Pod this week, and it had a channel running along the bottom to slide the screen into. The channel is the same that runs aong the top to slide the tent into. Of course, that set up is not perfect either; the step must stay in the travel position as the screen runs right it front of it, so the folks who had the Pod indicated they used a crate as a step.

When we set up our room this week, I used bungie cords and they worked fine.

ptarthur2

I agree, this dome awning is a great idea in concept but fitting it to the MPG camper so that bugs can be kept out wasn't completly thought out.

I ended up using JB Weld to attach the snap studs to the side of my MPG. Now I can just snap on the sides of the awning during set up as was orignally intended. I admit I was a little quesey about applying that dark gray JB Weld product to the side of my camper but it worked out great and looks very neat! If anyone else tries this, make sure you use the normal JB Weld and not JB Quick which has only about 1/2 the tensil strength of regular JB Weld. Be sure to let the glued on snap studs cure for 24 hrs before trying to snap on the awning, otherwise they will not hold.

I used magnets to hold the skirt up against that bottom edge of the camper as MPG185-GA indicated he'd done. I used 12 ceramic block magnets that I purchased at Lowes for $2.73 per pair (item #185097). I still need to attach the sides of the skirt to the lower side of the dome awning, I'm going to try using some large clips that are normally used to hold together a sheaf of papers. Has anyone found an alternative to this?

I'm happy that this has worked out in the long run but it really seems that I shouldn't have needed to do all this to make an awning fit that was advertised by Heartland as being "custom designed" for the MPG and officially offered as an option.

marc515

ptarthur2, Great Idea with the JB Weld; I just love that stuff but hadn't thought about it for the snaps.

Can you post a pic of the snaps on the front and rear?

Also, for the bottom screen, please see my thread "MPG Screen Room- How do you guys attach the bottom screen to the MPG" in which I installed rail awning; the screen just slides into it.

Thank you