Furnace Air Filter-Big Country 3450

billm

First full season with our Big Country 3450 and loving it! We have owned several travel trailers and they all had an air intake for the furnace inside the coach with some kind of filter. Most had a washable one like the AC uses. We seem to be having alot of dust in our coach after the furnace shuts down. I went looking for the air intake in the coach and for the life of me I can't find it??? Is there a filter somewhere? Is it possible to add one? :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, there is no return air filter but I'm sure with a little modification something could be added. The filter material is available at most home centers. Great idea!
I have to say though, I've never seen a return air filter in an RV.

hoefler

The manufacture does not approve of any type of filter on the furnace. It will also cause a restriction in the air flow making the heat exchanger to run hotter that it is intended to. If you have warranty, I would reconsider installing one. It will void your warranty.

Last edited:

ChopperBill

I bought some filter material that you can cut down at ACE. As far as restriction I think if you could blow a 100 mph wind through it it would only come out 99.9 mph. As far a filtering it is poor at best.

Rickhansen

I have used Filtrete "hammock" electrostatic filter media installed behind the return air grilles on the furnace and both A/C's for a couple years. It comes in 30" x 60" sheets (Part #9818NA) and is quite thin. The Filtrete media is hard to find, but does a reasonable job of filtration and can easily be trimmed to the right size and shape with scissors. It offers very low resistance to airflow and causes no problems. It does need changing frequently during peak heating and cooling seasons, and catches a lot of dust. A google search will likely yield a local or internet provider for you.