RV Advocacy Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gib

Anyone know of a RV advocacy Attorney??? I purchased a Heartland Elkridge 34TSRE on December 28th 2010, since that time it has been in the shop 3 times for over 25 warranty issues including non compliant wiring in both the 12 volt and 110 volt systems. Now it is headed back to Indiana to the factory to find out why the frame is flexing plus about 7 other issues. I have made one trip, about 150 miles. I admit that the warranty department has been taking care of the issues as they come up but they never seem to stop.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don't know of any and I don't thing RV's fall under any "lemon" laws. Hope HL can fix your coach and make you happy.

Gib

I think my trailer was built before the sell out to Thor and I know for a fact that it shouldn't even have been offered for sale because of, if nothing else, the lack of inspections as it was built and the RVIA and OREGON BUILDING CODE stickers that certify that the trailer was built to code in fact it was NON COMPLIANT in more than one area

Bob&Patty

Could you explain non-complaint and who told you it was non-complaint?? Does Oregon have different codes that other states?? I'm not sure what the "sell out" to Thor has to do with the building of your coach. Thor is not building HL trailers....HL is. Thor does not build trailers...they buy into companies that do. Was your trailer bought off the lot or ordered??

Gib

Yes but if it flexed enough that you couldn't keep the seal on the sidewall it would leak too

Gib

I am an electrical supervisor and know a bit about the code. They used crimp connectors UL approved for #10 ga and #12 ga wire with #14 wire. The #14 wire just pulled out of the connectors. Warranty had to go through the whole trailer and replace these connectors. They wouldn't have done it if they didn't have to. Also the 110 volt circuit was not correct. They had the whole living quarters, including the fireplace on one 15 amp circuit breaker. Code says the fireplace has to be on it's own breaker. NON-COMPLIANT simply means that it doesn't meet code requirements. Yes the National Electrical Code pertains to all states but the individual states have there own specialty codes that must be followed as well. The Stickers on the side of the trailer whether it be the RVIA sticker, Oregon sticker or both, CERTIFIES that the coach was built to code. Heartland was sold out to Keystone (I believe, but could be mistaking) which is a company owned by Thor. My trailer was bought of a lot, it was the first one of this model that they had received.

timbuktu

Every fifth wheel frame flexes a small amount (this is normal), but if there's a an excess in flexing (not normal), it could cause major issues. In my SOB I have excessive flexing and the repairs that were done on it required the dealer to remove the front cap and install reinforcements (wood and steel). In most cases this solves the issue, but in some it doesn't. Lippert is the largest RV frame manufacturer, and with the large numbers they produce, of course there's some that have issues.

Gib

It apparently flexes enough that the warranty service dealer and the factory both wanted me to send it back to Indiana for them to fix, must be something going on there. Two Heartland dealers I talked to didn't want to tackle the job.
Oh, by the way. All I wanted to know is if anyone knew of a advocacy Attorney

timbuktu

Gib, I PM'd you earlier this morning with info on my experience with SOB, hopefully it helps. I know what you're experiencing is frustrating, but you do have one thing going for you, it's a Heartland product and their customer service, at least in my experience, is one of the best I've seen in the industry. I know they will work with you to resolve your situation and make you happy. Best of luck.

Bob&Patty

All I can say about Attorney's is, contact one in your state and ask. Still do not think that the "lemon law" applies to RV's. Gib, just so you know, this forum is not owned by HL. Most of the time any mention of attorney's on the forum will get the thread closed. So don't be surprised if it does. My best advise to you at this time is, stay involved with HL service and let them work out the bugs. As to Thor...they are money people....they have controlling interests in a lot of RV companies. They do not build trailers. They own companies that do. They do not buy a company and fire everybody and only buy into companies that are profitable. I guess the easy way to explain Thor....they are a bank. Good luck with the repairs and hope will be happy at the end. Please report back on the outcome.

Gib

I really do like the unit and the way Heartland warranty has been doing their part. The fact remains that it shouldn't have been marketed because it didn't meet the requirements and to have upwards of 30 warranty issues in the three months that I have had it seems a bit much. And as far as Thor goes I may have spoken out of turn their, I wasn't blaming anyone I just heard through the mill that they had purchsed Heartland. I think my rig was built by a disgruntled employee or something went really bad. I would just like to get in to another one, same model etc. I am not out to try to sue anyone like most people would.

Bob&Patty

Gib, sometimes working with HL is better all around than getting an outside party involved. JMHO. The Elkridge's that I have seen seem to be a nice coach. As you know, the dealer is paid by HL to go over every inch of the coach before it is delivered to you. Some do a good job...some don't. Some just take the money and run. I would bet that 80% of them do and the new buyer has fewer problems at the get go. I agree with you on the electrical issues....should never happen....but does it... yes. Our Horn has really been trouble free for 4 years. Have I fixed alot of stuff on my own....yes. I don't know if this is your 1st RV or not. The 1st thing I learned was they are a rolling earthquake going down the road and things jar loose. Just the nature of the beast. As I said before, stay working with HL service and they will make it right. Just so you know, I have seen HL repair things that have gone wrong for people that were WAY out of warranty. So just hang in there. Let us all know what happens.

Gib

I have had a Carriage and a Monaco 5th wheel in the past and haven't had near the trouble combined as I have had with this one and I have only taken it on one trip. I don't know if they have the ability to check in the walls to see if there is any wiring that goes through bored holes in the frame that have been grommeted correctly. If not then there is no way that they can guarantee the wiring won't chaf and cause trouble (fire for instance) these are suppose to be inspected as they come down the line and this one was definately not. There is even a section INSIDE the kitchen cabinet against the wall that they cut out with a jigsaw or something for some reason and the piece is still there, of course it rubs when the kitchen slide goes in and out. Anyhow I hope they do get all the problems taken care of so I don't have to go through any other actions. As far as the dealer going through things, these would not be apparent to the naked eye although if they tried out the 110 volt electrical thay would have found that everything in the living area including the fireplace was wired to one circuit???

Anyhow, good to hear from you and I hope all goes well.

Thanks,

Gib

jbeletti

Gib,

I am closing this thread. I can appreciate your feelings with regard to the issues you are having with your coach and I am pleased to hear that you are on a path to resolution with Heartland. However, talk of "attorney" and a handful of other words is a terms of use violation on this and many other forums. Sorry about that.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.