Backing with Triple Axle

frumbawa

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but follow along religously. Our family has grown up with bunkouses since day one but now that the kids are older, it's looking like time to consider something else. Since we still want a family oriented unit, we're thinking toy hauler. Over the last few months, we looked at many different brands and models but without hesitation, Cyclone quickly moved to number one on the list. A 3612 to be exact.

Anyway, the only issue I'm having a hard time in my mind is backing up with the triple axle rig. My driveway where we currently store the Sundance requires me to take full advantage of the 88 degree turning to get it in. The tires even on the tandem axle scrub pretty good. I can't imagine what will happen with the triple. I know there's been discussion on this before but I can't seem to find what I'mn looking for. What say the experts?

Thanks.

Frank

lwmcguir

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but follow along religously. Our family has grown up with bunkouses since day one but now that the kids are older, it's looking like time to consider something else. Since we still want a family oriented unit, we're thinking toy hauler. Over the last few months, we looked at many different brands and models but without hesitation, Cyclone quickly moved to number one on the list. A 3612 to be exact.

Anyway, the only issue I'm having a hard time in my mind is backing up with the triple axle rig. My driveway where we currently store the Sundance requires me to take full advantage of the 88 degree turning to get it in. The tires even on the tandem axle scrub pretty good. I can't imagine what will happen with the triple. I know there's been discussion on this before but I can't seem to find what I'mn looking for. What say the experts?

Thanks.

Frank

You can slide them but do it slowly. Keep the air pressure up and it sure is better on gravel than concrete but many folks do it several times per season.

rebootsemi

These suspensions are about as light as they can make them and still get down the road. I've heard of folks bending spring hangers jack knifing their trailers. If you have to crank it that tight try at all costs to have the tires moving forward or backward even a little helps. It is just brutal on the running gear to jack these trailers tight. To bad they don't do like some of the grown up trailers do, I had a spread axle air ride flat bed that I could lift the front axle if needed.

robnmo

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but we crank ours pretty tight backing into our driveway, something we do is get it started and let the rear of the trailer angle beyond the path we want to end up, then pull up slightly starting to align truck n trailer, and relaxing the RV tires, then over angle it again, after a couple of those your in line and in the drive way, and doesn't seem to twist the tires as much as just making a one shot hard back in. Enjoy your 3612, we absolutely love ours.

mesteve

So...

Thinking about what Lee siad, wouldn't letting most pressure out of a set of tires do the same thing? Yes, you would put a strain on the other tires, but it would be a short amount of time and would save the twisting...

Then when parked, just air back up.

frumbawa

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but we crank ours pretty tight backing into our driveway, something we do is get it started and let the rear of the trailer angle beyond the path we want to end up, then pull up slightly starting to align truck n trailer, and relaxing the RV tires, then over angle it again, after a couple of those your in line and in the drive way, and doesn't seem to twist the tires as much as just making a one shot hard back in. Enjoy your 3612, we absolutely love ours.

This is pretty much what I do now to get the Sundance in the driveway. Sounds like it will be the same process with the triple axle, just a little longer process.

Thanks for the feedback all. Much appreciated.

Frank

robnmo

This is pretty much what I do now to get the Sundance in the driveway. Sounds like it will be the same process with the triple axle, just a little longer process.

Thanks for the feedback all. Much appreciated.

Frank

Just watch your safety brake cable, it likes to hang up on things and unplug itself. We slid ours through a piece of garden hose and haven't had a problem since. Good luck and enjoy that Cyclone.

rustyshakelford

this was the main reason we went with the 3010. it was the largest tandem axle TH we could get. I was concerned about the repeated abuse of getting it in and out of our driveway and just the constant strain on all the turns we do.

good luck on the purchase!

brett

truknutt

Committed Member
I have about a 120 degree turn to get the Cyclone in it's garage. I have found that maxing the air pressure in my truck's airbags shifts the weight to the 2 rear axles.
Your 3612 is a tad longer than the 3210 so I don't know how well this would work for you. On a side note; if that garage of mine were just a tad longer we'd have a 3612!! DW likes the fireplace, kitchen layout, the glass door to the garage, seperate sofa/dinette and the master bed's orientation. On the otherhand, being a guy, I am into the larger garage and the inside/outside refrigerator!!

Enjoy your new rig. Got any pics, yet?

Hi All,

Thanks.

Frank

First off, the credit goes to the OP! I can't find the post again, but found the website. This should fit your needs perfectly. http://sideshifteronline.com/Additional_Information.php

frumbawa

First off, the credit goes to the OP! I can't find the post again, but found the website. This should fit your needs perfectly. http://sideshifteronline.com/Additional_Information.php

Wow, this is pretty cool! The things they come up with ....

No pics yet TrukNutt. Although our decision is made on the rig, we've still got to square away the financial side of things. If all goes well, it will probably be late summer or early fall at the earliest.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Frank

traveler44

Aren't they supposed to have one next year that parks itself ?? Maybe I'm thinking of a car or something. Just kidding now, I really know better. Tom M.