No lights in camper

Sakool

Have a 2011North Trails 28BRS camper and the overhead lights in the main cabin and outside porch light stopped working. They worked fine last night. This morning nothing. Everything else works (front,rear lights, outlets, etc). Checked all fuses, breakers and they are ok. Switched light switch with one that was working, nothing happen. Crossed wires and nothing. Any thing I missed? 2nd trip with our new camper and 2nd breakdown preventing us from leaving.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
sounds like a bad ground or loose wire somewhere . check the connections at the switch first.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would take a meter and check for power at the switch. If no power work backward to the breaker panel. Or remove each light fixture and check connections. The wires run from one fixture to the next.
I know it's a long shot, but did you check the bulbs?
And I would not let the lack of lights prevent me from leaving on a trip.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

Re-check the fuses. Sometimes a visual check will look OK, but really it is bad. Change it with one that is working if in doubt.

Sakool

Thanks for the suggestion. Gave all the ideas, and a few others, a try and no luck tracking the problem down. It's back at the dealership being looked at.

BorgX

Hopefully this will help someone else before it's too late...

I found the problem after tracing the wire through the camper... it was a wire nut above the stove vent hood. Dropped the hood down and there are 3 wires that are joined there. Main feed, the vent hood, and then the main wire goes on to feed the over sink light and the main cabin lights as well as outside light. The nut was loose and was allowing poor contact. It had MELTED the wires and the wire nut. Really close to a fire in my 2011 21FBS! That would have been a lot of fun!!

I cut the wires back to remove the melted parts, soldered them, and put chrimp connector on them. Working great now.

As others have said, you better check EVERY wire nut you see and it is shocking to know that Heartland used them everywhere like that.

Sakool

The dealer found a lose connection in the wiring bundle behind the frig. Thought I had checked them but missed the one connection. It's been working fine since. Done more camping this summer than we have for many years. Couple of other small issues but nothing I couldn't fix quickly.