Frig care in storage

phix

I am new to RVing. Myspouse has some experience. We justbought a new 3610 BH. :)Our frig is a 4door Dometic with icemaker. Aftercamping for 4 nights, we have put it in storage for a few weeks until we can goagain. There was some frost in the backof the freezer component when we left it, so I put a towel in the bottom to soak up the waterwhen the frost melts. We will go backand remove the towel tomorrow and wipe things down. We live in Georgia and it is hot and humid in summers.
This triggered some questions. What should we be doing to keep the frig dry,mildew/mold free when we leave it in storage? Should we try to keep the frig door open?

Thanks!
Pam and Ray

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are in Texas and when not using our RV we make sure the inside of the Refrigerator/Freezer is dry and then leave the doors open. We have had no problems by following this procedure.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I concur if you don't leave them open you will get mold, even if you have cleaned it well. I speak from experience

Gary521

For the gimmick minded, Camping World sells a small plastic device that goes between the freezer and fridge doors to keep in open during storage.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
they tend to fall out. I just stick the broom in the freezer door and on the 2nd step up to the bedroom. its a free fix . the clips don't hold the door open very wide either.

We always stuff fridge and freezer full of newspaper when in storage, then we use the paper for our first campfire. Have done this for years.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just has to be wide enough to let air in. They seem to work just fine on my refer over the winter.

TxCowboy

For the gimmick minded, Camping World sells a small plastic device that goes between the freezer and fridge doors to keep in open during storage.

These plastic spacers were issued as part of my 32RL purchase. If you haven't already, check the package of information that came with your frig and see if they tossed in a couple of those spacers.

phix

Thanks everybody. We found the little black clip and are now using it to keep the doors open while the frig is off. The broom handle idea is appealing; so is having a broom! Takes a while to get everything set-up.

Pam

Crumgater

We have the frig door spacer - worked great in our slide-in camper, but the 5er frig is bigger than our old RV frig, so now we use little bungie cords to hold everything together and keep the frig ventilated.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
WE put the spacers in and make sure that it is dry. when you go back take out the towels and prop the door open.