Great price on portable icemaker at Target

Gary521

I bought one a short time ago. For me, It was more trouble that it was worth. The volume of ice that it makes is not significant and you need to keep an eye on the water level to make a signifcant supply. I wound up taking it back. What I am considereing though is a small freezer. It measures about 20 x 20 x 20. I would put it in the basement or front compartment. You need to rig up a power inverter to power the thing but it does not look all that difficult. This way I can put in a large bag of ice and don't have to wait for anything. Sam's sells the things but you need to order one.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Wayne - thanks for posting the add. Do you use your alot? And what brand is yours?

Gary - did you get an Emerson? I have not had very good luck with Emerson stuff so I might be a little warely about this one.

GETnBYE

Nabo, Mine is an EdgeStar, got it here:http://www.compactappliance.com/IP2...TI,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Ice_Makers

From what I saw at target, it looks just like what I have, but like I said.........if I say it's great it might not work.

It looks like it got good reviews 107 if them and they also have free shipping on it if you order it online.http://www.target.com/s?keywords=portable+ice+maker&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

We love ours and we use it all the time, I use a pitcher with a water filter to fill it and just put the ice in containers in the freezer till I get enough to last the trip, then I dry it out really well and pack it back up.
I am an ice junkie, I used to always have to bring ice from home because I can't stand a drink without it, now I just start this up as soon as we set up and it has ice for me really fast, it also gets faster the longer it's been running.
*It does not keep ice frozen, it will melt if you don't take it out and put it in the freezer, it just makes it.
Let me know if you have any ? that I can help with.
Anita

Gizzy

We bought one from Target a couple of years ago and love it. We were not too sure about the Emerson brand, but ours has worked like a champ so far. It cranks out ice MUCH faster than the one in our home fridge. However, the cubes seem to melt faster, probably because they are not as thick as the ones at home. We just keep a small cooler in the coach to dump the tray into. Works for us.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks for the replies, especially info about once the ice is made. Food for thought.

SmokeyBare

They do work well. It also helps keep the Frost down in the Freezer. The Frost would build up quickly when we were using Ice Cube trays. If you look at the portable Ice Machines, they all look the same... same shape and for the most part same controls. I believe they are mostly all built by the same company and sold under different brand names.

Marv

boatdoc

We go thru lots of ice and wouldn't be without one. Have one for the house and 5thwheel. One's an edgestar and the other is a magic chef but appear to be made by the same company.

hillsonwheels

Bought our Emerson from Target at the end of last camping season, October, and took a lot of ribbing from my bride about me having to buy one of everything that all the rest of you have. :( This season, guess who thinks that the machine going clunk in the night is music to her ears. :cool: We keep fresh water in ours and crank it up when we get to our next stop. It drops it's first cubes in about 5 minutes and makes about 15 pounds a day. The bride keeps a few cubes in our freezer for "long down times". So far, very pleased. Helped free up freezer storage space by deleting trays. Plus, Mike Walker I could use creek water, wine or beer to make cubes.......................:p:p:p:p:p

Dick