Thieves at it again

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here we are at Camp Gotchurwallet. We were walking into a local Walmart when my cell phone rings. Credit card company alerting me that somebody was trying to make some charges to my account. One for $500 and another for $100 (and change). The larger to some dress shop and the other to someplace in Canada. Both will be held and not charged to me.

Drawback is that now my card is cancelled until the replacement (new number) comes in the mail...which is 200 miles away and on hold. So, for the remainder of our stay, it's Mr. Cash. Good thing there's a credit union up here that I can access without ATM charges.

Just something to think about as you travel to have alerts set up on your credit cards to warn you if certain things happen.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I work for a credit union and we encourage all of our members that when they are traveling, to let the CU know. I also let them know the general areas we are going to be in so that if something questainable comes across, they will contact us immediately for verification. All the credit unions in my area do this for their members.

Moose

Sorry to hear that John. Seems like there are lowlifes everywhere.

On a positive note, I am glad to see CU members here. I am a volunteer member on the Board of our local CU.

JohnDar

Nope, didn't lose the card. Must have been someone phishing off a transaction someplace. Happened to me once before, several years ago, while I was in Germany on a deployment. Same thing, the CC company alerted me and stopped the transaction. I have this card set up to alert me for different types and amounts of transactions, but we use it for almost everything because of the rewards program. I regularly review the statements online, as well, just to keep track.

Credit unions are great. Got into one to finance the GMC and with the NCUA ATM's, it makes it easy (and free) to get cash when out of town.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sounds like a good time to not put all your eggs in the same basket. We always care a credit card that has no charges on it for such times. Also I guess you could have an extra account somewhere. Thanks for the thread and glad to hear that your bank took care of you.

rebootsemi

Had the same thing happen to one of my cards, they were trying to charge around 5k worth of stuff all at on line stores. Of course we were just about to leave for trip to Calif so that card was not in the mix. Have no idea how the crooks got the info probably off of some site that I bought something. Funny though about the only things I buy on line are for the RV.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We carry one credit card from one bank and have an extra stored away in case of an emergency. I check my credit card account almost every night. So far I have been very fortunate. Hope this is not going to come back and bite me.

BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This happened to me a few years back. Card was never out of my possession and wasn't used for online purchases. Someone was using an actual credit card with my account number at Macy's in NYC, while I was trying to buy my lunch in Dallas (my transaction was denied, so I called the bank). The bank had put a hold on the NY purchases and stopped any future transactions... so of course we cancelled the card.

I think my info was lifted at a restaurant... a few of my coworkers had similar problems within the same month.

Wharton

I wish restaurants would bring the credit card machine to your table like they did when we were in South Africa. It seems more secure than the waitperson disappearing with the credit card.......................

JohnDar

I use PayPal also, when it's available. We do have other cards, just didn't bring another with us. No biggie on this trip since Mr. Cash is welcome everywhere. And Mr. Kelly-Tec or Mr. Davis is usually around to keep him safe.

santafedave

Santafedave
Just happened to me last week. My credit union immediately canceled the card and gave me a new one at their main branch. There is nothing you can do about this except to file a police report and hope they catch the person's doing this. From what I understand the people who steal the numbers go online and sell them to people (thiefs) who have credit card making machines at their homes and them immediately go out and purchase goods before the fraud is reported.

Delaine and Lindy

We have had our cards hi-jacked two or three time. We were told to have different numbers on our Cards then you will still have one card that can acces you account........ Never ever use debit card............. Happy Trails...