Safety Breakaway Switch use when parked

TxCowboy

When I had my new Greystone 32RL delivered to my RV park, the delivery guy helped set the unit up, get it leveled and, just before leaving, pulled the breakaway switch and stashed it in the king pin box. As this is my first RV and he was a very experienced RV delivery and set-up driver (has worked for the RV sales place for years), I didn't think about it.

I just read on page 25 of the Heartland 5th Wheel, Travel Trailer, and Toy Hauler Owner's Manual a notice that states: "Do not use the breakaway switch as a parking brake, as it is intended for emergency use only and such use will drain your RV battery."

If I'm connected to shore power fulltime, is this an issue? The battery is continually recharging.

What else might be occurring with the breakaway switch activated -- damage to the braking system?

TedS

Good question for the factory.
The current draw may exceed the converter charge current. Your batteries will never reach full charge.
Some heat is always being generated by the current going through the circuits. Good or bad? Deteriorate the insulation.
I would be concerned that over fulltiming period that corrosion may stick one or more shoes to the drum(s).
Or a non-event.
I would not leave the switch activated. No sense running a circuit if you don't need to. Intuitively seems like a waste.
I do store the pull wire in the pin box.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not leave the pin out of the breakaway switch. The way the brakes are designed is that there is a magnet that sticks to the side of the brake drum when the brakes, or breakaway is activated. When the wheel turns it drags that magnet and pulls on a lever that applies the brake shoes to the drum. So it really will not hold anything until the wheels start turning. If that makes sense to you.
And if power is applied to the magnets all they will do is sit there and get hot. Not to mention the extra power usage.
Follow the Owners Manual instructions.

Peace
Dave

rebootsemi

I think Dave is right on with this one, with the switch pulled I believe you are sending full voltage to the wheel magnets which will probably overheat and they are not holding anything as the wheels are not turning. Put the pin back in and clock the wheels.

Willym

I've never seen this done, or advised by any RV maker. If you are worried about the trailer moving then you need to use wheel chocks. While I've never seen this practice advised against by brake manufacturers, I'd be concerned about overheating of the brake magnets if left with full current flow - 3 amps per magnet. 36 watts of heat will be generated in each magnet and it could lead to internal insulation damage.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
What would be the advantage of doing this? I cant see why anyone would do this.

campers2

No way would I leave it like that. It is for a specific purpose, that being to stop your trailer if it becomes disconnected while you are moving. Other than testing it should not be left activated. Make sure you chock both sides of your tires before disconnecting.

jimtoo

Plug that breakaway cable back in... Everyone that posted above is correct.

PM me your dealer.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would certainly report the delivery driver to the dealer or the delivery company. Don't know who taught him to do that but they taught him wrong. A very bad practice.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
A friend of mine in Bowling Green KY was going to demonstrate how to test the trailer pin box connection. Many people just manually held the brake controller closed then tried to pull forward. My friend was proudly going to show us a better way to do the test. He pulled the breakaway cable went to the cab of the TV and tried to pull forward. When he came back and pushed in the plastic pin it just melted and fused the breakaway device. He had to cut the wire to release his brakes. When the contacts closed it caused a direct short from the battery to the brake magnets. This drew enough current that the whole device almost melted. This can ruin your battery(s), wiring, and magnets.

The answer is... Don't Do it. Check your brake system. All the wiring and the magnets.

BC

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
A friend of mine in Bowling Green KY was going to demonstrate how to test the trailer pin box connection. Many people just manually held the brake controller closed then tried to pull forward. My friend was proudly going to show us a better way to do the test. He pulled the breakaway cable went to the cab of the TV and tried to pull forward. When he came back and pushed in the plastic pin it just melted and fused the breakaway device. He had to cut the wire to release his brakes. When the contacts closed it caused a direct short from the battery to the brake magnets. This drew enough current that the whole device almost melted. This can ruin your battery(s), wiring, and magnets.

The answer is... Don't Do it. Check your brake system. All the wiring and the magnets.

BC

Agreed...
A few SOB's ago, I bought a little Aljo travel trailer. Somehow the previous owner had the breakaway pulled for an extended period. It fried most of the components of the brakes, from having constant power on them. Almost everything had to be replaced.

Last edited: