Progressive EMS must work, My 50 to 30 adapter is welded together!

beardedone

Beardedone
Went out to our campground for the long week-end and everything went well, although yesterday noticed the power went off momentarily but it started back up without a problem. Today when packing up I went to unplug the 30 amp power. I shut down the breaker and pulled the plug, walked back to the adapter to unplug to 50 amp line, no problem. When I went to disconnect the adapter from the 30 amp cable they were welded together. I am glad it is not welded to the 50 amp line! The hook up was obviously working well but that adapter looks like it is staying connected to the 30 amp cable. :(:(

rebootsemi

Went out to our campground for the long week-end and everything went well, although yesterday noticed the power went off momentarily but it started back up without a problem. Today when packing up I went to unplug the 30 amp power. I shut down the breaker and pulled the plug, walked back to the adapter to unplug to 50 amp line, no problem. When I went to disconnect the adapter from the 30 amp cable they were welded together. I am glad it is not welded to the 50 amp line! The hook up was obviously working well but that adapter looks like it is staying connected to the 30 amp cable. :(:(

If I understand this correctly you had a 50 amp and 30 amp extensions connected with a adapter and now the adapter is welded to the 30 amp female plug? Now what could cause this to happen? If there was a fault to ground it would trip the breaker about the only thing would be heat built up over time. You stated that there was a short power interruption this is probably when the plug arch welded itself. Could have built up heat do to bad contact, dirty, corroded pins, who knows just happened. By chance were you pulling a high load when the power went out, just guessing here. Like to see inside the welded plug to see actually which pins glued themselves together.

hoefler

Very common problem when try to pull too much current from 50 amp through a 30 amp set up. A 50 amp set up is a 220 volt at 50 amp. A 30 amp set up is 110 volt at 30 amp. The adapter takes 220 volt 50 amp, connects the legs together, essentially 110 volt at 100 amps. Now you are trying to power your rig at 30 amp when you actually need 100 amp. An A/C and one coffee pot puts you at the limit of a 30 amp service. One electric heater and a coffee pot will get you there, Hair dryer, water heater, electric skillet, etc.. all will pull around 10-15 amps each. Most likely the plastic is melted together, you can try and cut it apart, but either way, you need to replace both plugs or the adapter.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the replies.
Rebootsemi: Yes I was pulling more than I should have. We winter camp and don't use the hot water tank. This was first time using hot water tank and (you guessed it) was on electric and this old guy forgot. Need I say more.

Hoefler: Thanks for your reply also. For now I think I am just going to leave the adapter welded to the 30 amp cable because it is working and I still have my EMS working well. In the meantime I will look for another adapter that I like.

In any event I was at fault for loading too much up and will have to be more careful.

hoefler

You may look into a Y-adapter that plugs into a 30 amp and a 20 amp outlets. This would help you out by 20 amps.

Willym

Thanks for the replies.
Rebootsemi: Yes I was pulling more than I should have. We winter camp and don't use the hot water tank. This was first time using hot water tank and (you guessed it) was on electric and this old guy forgot. Need I say more.

Hoefler: Thanks for your reply also. For now I think I am just going to leave the adapter welded to the 30 amp cable because it is working and I still have my EMS working well. In the meantime I will look for another adapter that I like.

In any event I was at fault for loading too much up and will have to be more careful.

I wouldn't leave the adaptor connected. Arcing, from a poor connection, exacerbated by a high current draw may have caused some localized welding. You still have a bad connection, which could lead to overheating or more arcing in future.

rebootsemi

I wouldn't leave the adaptor connected. Arcing, from a poor connection, exacerbated by a high current draw may have caused some localized welding. You still have a bad connection, which could lead to overheating or more arcing in future.

Would get rid of the welded adaptor and start a new. What all did you have on in the trailer to pull that much load? The HWH pulls around 15-16 amps by itself. The bad connection is what caused this little dance and it will happen again.

hoefler

Even in new condition, pulling more current than the plug is rated for will cause an over heat condition and can weld the contacts together regardless of age.

rebootsemi

Need to do the math and figure out just how many amps you are trying to pull through a 30 amp circuit.....

mesteve

We melted an adapter last summer, dealer replaced the power cord head gratis so i bought a new adapter. They said there was a bad/no ground connection in either the plug or adapter, cant remember.

beardedone

Beardedone
Well I found my other adapter and will remove the old one (carefully) and see how the 30 amp cable end looks. At the time I had the fireplace on and was making coffee but I think the hot water tank (electric) kicked in also. That together with other draw and maybe even the converter I guess it was too much. I had wired a separate 15 amp circuit in the trailer down to the UDC and then plug it into the site power but hadn't used it. I guess I should plug my coffee pot into that line, lesson learned. What is the "Y" connector to plug into a 30 and 20 amp outlet. How many use them?

hoefler

The Y-adapter keeps both legs in your 50 amp cord separate unlike the adapter you are using that ties them together. Some Y's have 2 30 amp plugs that you can use when 2 30 amp receptacles are available. When you have only 1 30 and 1 20, you can adapt 1 30 to a 20. Other Y's only have 1 30 and 1 20. Either way, you would gain at least 20 amps.