ATF: Bighorn - Hydraulic landing gear issue

mpuppy

Just got back from our first trip with our new 2011 3070 Bighorn. Everything was fine until we got back home. As I went to un-hitch and lower the landing gear, I noticed the rear slide moved out about a 1/2 inch. I figure I would just retract once un-hooked. I release the hitch and go to pull truck forward and noticed that there was a lot of weight on hitch still as I pull forward. I jumped back out to raise trailer (as truck is still under trailer). The trailer immediately started dropping down slowly. First thought was to raise trailer up high and hitch back up to truck so I did that. :confused::confused: NOW what!

I lowered the jack pins as close to ground so even if hydraulics don't stay up, at least the trailer won't be sitting very low to ground. This time I raised the jacks, unhitched, pull truck forward, went back and raised trailer again and jumped back into truck to move forward quickly to get truck out from underneath trailer. Almost made it out, but the trailer hit my the last couple of inches on my truck rail as I pulled forward. The hydraulic jacks did not stay up and sank to where the jack pins were set. As I went to trailer, I noticed my rear slides have moved out (1 1/2 feet on one side and 1/2 foot on the other). I retracted the slides and tried the front jacks again - now the jacks won't even lift the front of trailer.

Stuck now!
- trailer jacks won't lift trailer at all
- rv dealer not open till tommorrow
- trailer not high enough to hitch back to truck to take to dealer

I suspect the hydraulic valve, but not sure if it is as simple as the valve has moved out of place or if a seal has popped and needs to be replace. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

T

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check your hydraulic fluid as you may have a leak. If so you can add fluid (Motorcraft transmission fluid) and it might get you high enough to hitch. If not call for a mobile RV repair service.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim is right, it definitely sounds like a leak. If you don't feel comfortable doing your own hydraulic work I'd certainly call your dealer or Heartland or even both. Heartland MAY authorize mobile service for a situation like this.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we had a leak it was the cylinder under the bed and we could not see it. Look in the basement at the fluid reservoir.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Is the reservoir full? Have you tried closing the valves to the slides? Something's not closing if your slides are opening while activating your landing gear I would think.

mpuppy

Trailer is out in storage now so I won't be able to try it for a while. I shouldn't have to close valves each time I want the front jacks to work.

I will wait and let dealership figure it out as it is a new unit. Just thought someone on here might have had the same experience and could help the mechanic short cut straight to issue.

TedS

You are right, you should not have to close the valves to the slides to operate the landing gear. It is a method to isolate the slide hydraulics from the system to see if that is where the problem is.

mpuppy

I went out and tried your suggestion and closed valves to slides and operated landing gear. It seems to hold - this makes me suspect a seal in the hydraulic valve body. I also checked again for leaks and there are none. Resorvoir is full. At least now I can raise the trailer to hook up and get to dealership. Thanks!

K

karykatz

mpuppy,

See below from our production manager.

"The silver hydeck valve with the two wires sticking out on the front legs needs replacing."

I hope this helps

rono

I didn't have a problem with the landing gear going down but noticed on the way out to my sisters house the other day pulling our 2011 3070 that the 2 hydralic slides seemed to have slipped out about 2 inches. Before I left I made sure that the slides were completly in. So I stoppped in a parking lot and retracted them again. However, on both occassions I notice a clicking/popping noise coming from the left slide. When we got out to my sisters my wife opened the slides to show them the inside but didn't get the right side slide all the way out. When she went to pull them back in the right side slide tilted the top out almost to the point where it seemed like the slide was going to come out. She stopped and called me in so I grabbed hold of the top and had her slide it in the rest of the way. Everthing seemed to lock in place for the trip home. Since then I have tested the slides several times with no issues. However the right hand slide does seem to tilt a little more than the left when being retracted. Any ideas?

Thanks