Have put a deposit on a NT 22FBS and have some questions

First, I am wondering about the glass shower doors and glass in the cupboard doors. We've been traveling for the past 10 years with our little 19 ft. Aljo ... no glass ... we sometimes end up on dirt or gravel roads ... anyone have any problems with breakage? You know, pots crashing through the doors? We are wanting to go a bit larger as the bed in our floorplan now is in the corner, and difficult to make harder as I get older :) We travel a lot, at least 2 to 3 months out of the year. We love the storage and floor plan of the 22FBS. I have to say that I also love what I am hearing about the customer service for Heartland. Makes me excited that we found the North Trail ...

Prospective North Trail Buyer ... What is the standard factory warranty? North Trail 22FBS

Do you find it necessary to purchase the 5 year extended warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: Prospective North Trail Buyer ... What is the standard factory warranty? North Trail 22FBS

Hi vmccutchan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share when needed.

Haven't heard of any problems with the glass in the doors. We have not had a problem with our BH. I'm sure you will get some more answers and opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thanks Jim ... I was delighted to find this site ... and it sure confirmed our decision about the North Trail 22FBS ... but still have those couple of questions ... I just love that there is a place like this to talk with other owners.

OBX-GL

I have heard many suggest that most issues often occur in the first year and the relevance of further warranties is dependent on cost. All trailers seem to have there small warranty issues after purchase, but there are lemons that get produced as well.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
vmccutchan... Towed out 21fbs 6,000 miles last year (some backroads in the national forest) and no issues with any of the glass. In fact, no issues with the trailer except for the tires. I would pass on the 5 year extended warranty. I am sure you will hear from others, but most appliances are covered by manufacturers for 3 years. If you do go with an extended warranty, I hear the best way is not from a dealer but from Good Sams Club. Enjoy your new trailer!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Look at the Good Sam policy when your 1 year warranty has expired. As far as the glass...we have never had a problem....but we keep our heavy stuff in the bottom drawers. We do not have much real glass stuff in the Horn. It's too heavy and plastic is for camping.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
vmccutchan, My thoughts on traveling gravel or dirt roads are to do it cautiously. Not like an off road event. You should be just fine. Regarding the extended warranty, I would pass on the dealers offer and consider a plan from Good Sam. I've heard good things about their plan.

Back to the cabinet doors. You can always bungee the doors where possible and make sure the shower door is latched. Have fun & travel safe.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
To keep the cupboard doors closed while traveling....we use "ponytail" ties. They have worked well for us.

I have heard many suggest that most issues often occur in the first year and the relevance of further warranties is dependent on cost. All trailers seem to have there small warranty issues after purchase, but there are lemons that get produced as well.
Thanks for your reply ... that is our thought too ... and we have a big trip planned for the summer, figure we'll iron out any issues at that time ... should be taking possession sometime this week :eek:

Look at the Good Sam policy when your 1 year warranty has expired. As far as the glass...we have never had a problem....but we keep our heavy stuff in the bottom drawers. We do not have much real glass stuff in the Horn. It's too heavy and plastic is for camping.

Thank you so much for this advice ... love your "handle" ...

Bret, Sandie and Sara the Terror ... Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the glass. Seems you three travel quite a bit ... as do we ... We should be taking possession of our new NT 22 FBS sometime this week. We are upgrading from a 19 ft. Aljo which we have had for 10 years. This summer we will be heading up to WI, then Las Vegas, then northern CA and on down to San Diego, before we head back home ... of course we will do a short close to home maiden trip to check things out, maybe a couple little trips before we pack up in August ... In your 6,000 miles last year, where all did you go?

Invizatu
How long should i give my new factory tires? Miles or years ?

I have to replace mine now (about 2 years) They have sidewall cracks in them. Just check them often and you will notice if they are bad. I was pretty lucky. I only put about 3000 miles on them

jnv

Hi vmccutchan, we have a NT 21fbs and I also was nervous about the glass doors in the cabinets. I placed non-skid drawer liners in all the cabinets and invested in "cupboard bars" thru camping world. I also make sure the shower door is always latched and that no soap, shampoo, etc. is left in when we're on the road. We traveled over 7,000 miles last year with no problems. We love our trailer and I'm sure you will also. Depending on when you're in Wisconsin, you might want to check out the rally in Lake Delton in August. We would enjoy meeting up with you. As far as dealer extended warranty, we purchased one and do not feel it was worth the money. The few things that have come up were not covered! We only bought it because we never had a trailer with a slide out before and was concerned about possible problems with it. Enjoy your new trailer and safe travels!

Hi vmccutchan, we have a NT 21fbs and I also was nervous about the glass doors in the cabinets. I placed non-skid drawer liners in all the cabinets and invested in "cupboard bars" thru camping world. I also make sure the shower door is always latched and that no soap, shampoo, etc. is left in when we're on the road. We traveled over 7,000 miles last year with no problems. We love our trailer and I'm sure you will also. Depending on when you're in Wisconsin, you might want to check out the rally in Lake Delton in August. We would enjoy meeting up with you. As far as dealer extended warranty, we purchased one and do not feel it was worth the money. The few things that have come up were not covered! We only bought it because we never had a trailer with a slide out before and was concerned about possible problems with it. Enjoy your new trailer and safe travels!

Thank you so much ... your post is VERY helpful ... now I am more excited then ever! We still haven't been able to see it or take possession. It seems with the bad weather and the price of gas ... finding a driver to bring it down from the factory has been an issue ... they are hoping now to have it here on Tuesday ... keeping our fingers crossed

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We just got back from a 2 week trip down the Oregon Coast, we didn't have any problems with our cupboard doors, they fit so securely it is hard to get them open and we did have stuff banging into them and nothing came open or broke.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bret, Sandie and Sara the Terror ... Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the glass. Seems you three travel quite a bit ... as do we ... We should be taking possession of our new NT 22 FBS sometime this week. We are upgrading from a 19 ft. Aljo which we have had for 10 years. This summer we will be heading up to WI, then Las Vegas, then northern CA and on down to San Diego, before we head back home ... of course we will do a short close to home maiden trip to check things out, maybe a couple little trips before we pack up in August ... In your 6,000 miles last year, where all did you go?

Last year we went to Ft. Davis state Park in West Texas (1000 miles round trip), Mustang Island (Padre Island) (1000 miles round trip) and our longer trip was to Idaho (40 miles south of Yellowstone). From Idaho, we went through Utah (Zion National Park)on our way to (Grand Canyon National Park) and then back thru Arizona and New Mexico catching the "Painted Desert" and the "Petrified Forest" (4000 miles round trip). In addition, we took several closer to home trips. Love It!