What about towing? We have a Chevy Tahoe - RE: North Trail 22FBS

OBX-GL

I don't have experience with that combo but found dealers in my area would allow me to test drive/pull trailers i was serious about when i worried about performance. Pulling performance is really so subjective, i found the test pull was of best use as not all members will be frequenting mountainous regions or will be traveling copious miles where mileage might play impact. Check out the RV life towing guide for your TV and keep your dry weight at least 1000lbs under that. My.02

Stay tuned, as other members that are incredibly helpful will be chiming in soon.

Congratulations on the trailer !

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We need more info on the Tahoe. What engine, trans, gear ratio, year, 22" wheels. Does it have the OEM trailering package. I do know that if it has the 4.8...GM does not recommend towing with that engine and trans combo and they did not come with a trailer hitch from GM.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Anyone out there have experience towing this size travel trailer with the Chevy Tahoe?
If your Tahoe has the factory towing package with the trans oil cooler you should be in good shape. I'm assuming you have the 5.3 Vortec and 3.73 gears. I was using a Yukon (not XL) to pull a 7700# 27 foot Dutchmen with a front kitchen and large slide. I'm pretty sure it was over weight but it handled it and even stopped it pretty good. I did buy a more suitable truck after a season. Your North Trail is well under the capacity of the Tahoe. Use a weight distributing hitch and anti-sway and buy a good brake controller.

Last edited:

OBX-GL

Assuming the smallest Tahoe engine is the 4.8L which is capped at towing 5700lbs and the trailer is 5000lbs your tight, travel empty and short and stay on the flats till you get a bigger tow vehicle. If you have a bigger engine than you should be fine. Test tow the trailer, only you will know where and what you towing expectations are.

If your Tahoe has the factory towing package with the trans oil cooler you should be in good shape. I'm assuming you have the 5.3 Vortec and 3.73 gears. I was using a Yukon (not XL) to pull a 7700# 27 foot Dutchmen with a front kitchen and large slide. I'm pretty sure it was over weight but it handled it and even stopped it pretty good. I did buy a more suitable truck after a season. our North Trail is well under the capacity of the Tahoe. Use a weight distributing hitch and anti-sway and buy a good brake controller.

Yes, we bought the Tahoe for towing our 19 ft Aljo ... in fact the gear shift lever has a button on the end to egage it for towing ... I'll have to ask my husband about the weight distributing hitch ... I know we use an anti-sway bar and brake controller.

Thanks so much for your input.

We bought our Tahoe in 2003 specifically for towing our 19 ft travel trailer and have been all over Colorado, from CA to VA Beach, through West VA, all up the west coast, through the sierras, across the deserts, all over TX, the gulf coast, through parts of AK, AL and LA ... The gear shift has a button on the end to engage for towing, so I am thinking it is the larger engine ... I went out to look at the owner's manual but couldn't find what the engine is ... I know my husband has been looking at all the details and feels it is adequate, I just thought if someone had some actual experience it would be welcomed. thanks so much for you input.

Hey thanks Cranky, great wife, 5 great kids and 9 grandkids and 1 crazy cat that wants to travel ... The Tahoe has the trailering package and rear axle with 4.1 ratio ... we have the vortex 5300 V8 engine and auto trans with tow haul mode. We have 16" tires and load leveling shock absorbers ... I'm thinking we're good to go :)

The Tahoe has the trailering package and rear axle with 4.1 ratio ... we have the vortex 5300 V8 engine and auto trans with tow haul mode. We have 16" tires and load leveling shock absorbers ... I'm thinking we're good to go :) We will check out having a test tow of the trailer ... going to look at it on Saturday ... getting excited!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your info is good to know...but I question a Tahoe having 4:11 rear end ratio. Most GM standard tow packages have the 3:73 ratio. But it could I guess if you ordered it special. Just as a side note. The tow/haul button does nothing but hold the transmission in the gears longer. It does not increase HP and not having the Allison transmission it does not have the trans brake. A Tahoe is a good vehicle, the 5.3 is a good engine (about 283 CI). A Tahoe is a heavy vehicle which is good for towing. With a heavier trailer it will want to downshift more. On any hills I would shift the lever out of OD. Good luck and enjoy your new trailer. JMHO from a GM tech for 47 years. P.S....not cranky all the time.

caissiel

I know a camper that tows a much bigger trailer with a standard equiped GM Avalanche, The light trailers have a problem of having to much walls for the weight of the units, in my opinion, so caution while towing them is required. I would make sure there is at least 700Lbs weight at the hitch. I pulled a 5600Lbs with a 3200Lbs Ranger with no problems for 25K miles, but lots of weight on the hitch.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I know a camper that tows a much bigger trailer with a standard equiped GM Avalanche,.
The Avalanche is essentially a Suburban with a different body. Exact same suspension and drive train. In fact, the 8.1 Vortec was available in the burban in the 2500 series but I'm not sure if the Allison was available with it. Great tow vehicle for the average travel trailer.

Regarding the Commander, I know the hemi has the oomph but I'm not sure what suv's capacities are. If I had to guess, I'd say no problem.

We are looking at a Caliper 255RS and plan to tow with a 07 Jeep Commander 5.7 hemi? any thoughts on that?

I just traded my commander in for a Ram 1500. My camper is just under 27 feet long. The Hemi has more than enough power. If you have the factory tow package, then you should be ok depending on your comfort level towing. The 255rs is 25 feet long, so you may have trailer sway because the commander doesn't have a long wheelbase. This is unless it is shorter with the rear slide in. I am not sure what the weight of the unit is, but that is also a factor to consider.

mikem

I am currently on vacation with our 2010 28BRS, which we tow with a 2003 Tahoe Z71. It is equipped with a 5.3L vortec, towing package with tranny cooler and 3.73 gears. It hauls pretty good, but likes to rev on long, steep hills while dropping speed (which is to be expected with a gas job). As long as you drive it like you are indeed towing a trailer, the Tahoe should serve you well. We initially had concerns with sway and the "tail wagging the dog," due to the length of the trailer. We installed a Blue Ox anti-sway hitch when we purchased the trailer and have had no issues. Only when we pass tanker trucks do we feel any movement from the trailer (minimal at best). I recommend mirror extensions, as well. I am currently considering air bags, as the tongue weight does sag the rear of the Tahoe an inch or so. Hope this helps.

PeternLiane

After a lot of research, we finally bought a North Trail22fbs on November 3rd 2011. Our tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with thetow package. Our Tacoma towed that trailer like a champion. The trailer pulledvery well even better then I was told. Our first trip was over the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Awesome is all I can say. We towed it back and both vehiclesdid awesome again. I can’t wait till next camping season.
:D