Battery Disconnect

JJAK17

I am looking at installing a battery disconnect on my 07 Sundance 3200rbh. I am looking for ideas as to which one works the best. I am thinking about having one that has a mount that has easy access in either the coach or more likely in the storage compartment. I have done some looking and have seen the red key ones. I think that it would work well for my needs. Does anybody use one of these red key ones? Has anybody else used/installed a disconnect and if so where did you mount it. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jason

jbeletti

Jason,

I haven't used the one with the key, but I have used 2 styles from BEP Marine.

Switch below on BEP Marine's website.

701S.jpg

Blue Sea Systems (image below) also make them (as does Perko)
3.png

DaleR

Hi Jason
I used the "Blue Sea Systems" that Jim posted. I only have the one batt., so just a on & off. Went to Auto Zone and bought longer cables ( 18inch but could used 24inch) and just mounted to the side wall in the side compartment.
Packer (Dale)

5erWonk

Jason,

I have the red key disconnect and it works just fine as long as don't want to switch between batteries....My only concern is if you loose the key. I have it hanging from a chain next to the dicoonect.

jbeletti

As a suggestion, consider using the "key-type" if you are concerned with an unauthorized turning on/off of your battery. Then store that keyon a hook in your coat closet if your model has one.

If there is no need to use a key-type, consider the simple rotary knob-style.

As an FYI, it is my understanding that the brakes/break-away switch is wired "before" the battery switch in coaches that came supplied with them. If wiring in your own switch, please give consideration to this safety item as you'll want those coach brakes to lock in the unlikely event the coach becomes disconnected from the truck while underway.

Jim

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have the "red key" type on our unit. Cheap at Harbor Frieght. The Marine types are very good, but at a higher cost.

Uncle Rog

jjak17, I have the blue sea, two battery rotary, my main bank is 450AH, my reserve is the stk single 160AH. I charge the main bank at home, when we travel I switch over to the reserve to charge on the road......

tdharley

Rog

Do I got this right ..... You are carrying 5 batteries????

You must do a lot of boondocking?

The T-105's are 60lbs a peice & one extra... Must be 300lbs of batteries.

I could bring along 3 more wives, if my heart would hold out.

I decided to only go with 2 T-105's since the most boondocking I do is one 3 day weekend a year. I can run the generator during the day to top off if needed. But according to my calculations I should not need to.

I do like the idea of the backup battery though, since I have it. What do you do with the Xantrex control? Do you reprogram the amphours when you switch over?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
tdharley said:
Rog

Do I got this right ..... You are carrying 5 batteries????

You must do a lot of boondocking?

The T-105's are 60lbs a peice & one extra... Must be 300lbs of batteries.

I could bring along 3 more wives, if my heart would hold out.

I decided to only go with 2 T-105's since the most boondocking I do is one 3 day weekend a year. I can run the generator during the day to top off if needed. But according to my calculations I should not need to.

I do like the idea of the backup battery though, since I have it. What do you do with the Xantrex control? Do you reprogram the amphours when you switch over?
I bet the three more wives would weigh more than 300 pounds and cost more to maintain. ;) Ken

Uncle Rog

tdh, I do not re-set the xantrex. If the rig sits for a while I throw the switch over for a couple of hours just to keep the reserve fresh, but usually on a 5 hour trip the truck kicks it up to full charge no problem. The only use it really gets is setting up and leveling, and if we are camping dry I will use it for a day or so to save the main bank. I rarely take the Yamaha unless we will be out for more than 5 days, just to make sure the lights don't run out....

JJAK17

Thank you all for your posts. I need to do some looking and decide which one I will go with. Thanks again.

Jason