Gas/electric DSI water heater?

marc515

The 2011 catalog indicated the Platnum Package includes a "Gas/electric DSI water heater"

What is it, and how does it differ from a regular propane HWH?

Thank you

It gives you the option of using either gas or electric. You must have your unit plugged into shore power in order to use the electric side of it.

Riverman

Heater will operate on either 110V or propane or both.
DSI is Direct Spark Ignition....so you are not required to stand outside with a box of matches - simply flip the switch inside the coach.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There should be a control panel in your coach. The one that tells you the holding tank readings. On that panel is a switch that turns on the GAS part of the HWH. The electic switch should be a seperate house type switch with a red knob. BTW, you can use both for a quick reheating of the water. Caution, only use the 120V switch if you are sure the HWH is full.

SocalDD

Wow! Now I'm confused... We just brought home our CY3010 and during the walk through I was told the "red" switch was for using the optional washer/dryer. I stopped paying attention because I don't think I will ever put in the washer and dryer. Could you please explain the use of this switch... It sounds like a great option and I could not find any info in the manuals. Thank you!!!

Bighurt

If applicable the unit will come with a residential style light switch that controls the electrical only portion of the water heater. The heater switch on the tank status panel, only controls the propane portion. Keep in mind their is a disconnect in the heater service bay that disconnects electrical service as well. This is a little black switch with a cotter pin through it. It needs to be on for the electric portion to work. Also the unit must have water in the water heater before using the electric heater or you may (will) burn out the element.

tomhank

Instead of using a standing pilot light (a continuously burning flame), DSI water heaters use an electronic ignition system that creates a spark to ignite the gas burner when hot water is needed. This is more energy-efficient than a pilot light and also eliminates the risk of gas leakage when the pilot is not burning.

Dahillbilly

Instead of using a standing pilot light (a continuously burning flame), DSI water heaters use an electronic ignition system that creates a spark to ignite the gas burner when hot water is needed. This is more energy-efficient than a pilot light and also eliminates the risk of gas leakage when the pilot is not burning.
tomhank this post is 12 years old think they have it under control now