Electric Jacks

TheSoCals

New owner, 7 trips under our belt and 7- 30 mini fuses burned out on jacks. Most on level cement pads, no stress or incline. Any advise?
32RL Greystone. Discussed with local service center and they suggested replacing entire jack motor.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing that you are talking about the front landing gear. It is not uncommon for a new owner to retract the landing gear to the max and blow fuses.
Does the Greystone have electric front landing gear? If so do not retract the gear all the way to the end.
Dont know if this will help you but its something to consider.

Peace
Dave

mesteve

I am betting Cookie hit it on the head. I know we went through 3 or 4 before I realized that was what we were doing. Not a one since...

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Blew mine the first time out last year. on next set up I painted a red ring on the jacks at a safe distance, three or four inches below blowout point, and haven't had a problem since.

porthole

Retired
when I had electric jacks I never had a problem. But I did mark the legs about 1/2" from full up and down after reading about that tip on the forum.

JJnLilly

Did just what porthole did and have only blown one fuse since...and that was when a 'helper' was operating the switch and did not know what that mark was for.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Did the same thing myself. First trip out I blew the fuze and did not know it was inline and it was tucked in behind the battery box. I had test light and multi-meter out, knew there was no power and had tore thru the whole trailer looking for the blown fuse. Finally called the dealer and the first thing out of there mouth was I retracted it to the max and it blows the fuze. Told me where the fuze was and in a minute we were back in business. The in-line will hold both regular and mini fuzes. (just FYI)

The same thing has happened to me (extending or retracting the legs to yhe limit). The Dealer gave 30 amp breaker that pluged int0 the inline fuse holder. So far no problems. I think I will use a marker to mark the legs as discussed.

Dennis1948

GOTTOYS

The same thing has happened to me (extending or retracting the legs to yhe limit). The Dealer gave 30 amp breaker that pluged int0 the inline fuse holder. So far no problems. I think I will use a marker to mark the legs as discussed.

Dennis1948
A 30 amp mini fuse is the correct size..Contrary to what your dealer says..A breaker should not be used, only a fuse. The reason being, a fuse will blow in an instant, a breaker will not, which can cause damage to the gearbox for the landing gear legs. If you are blowing fuses it is because you are not watching the legs as they move upward or downward. You MUST turn the switch off before they they reach the end of the travel. It would be nice if Heartland or Lippert would install a micro switch to shut them off before they do this but that hasn't happened yet. There is no reason to run the legs all the way up. You can leave them extended an inch or two. Don

electric jacks;
you would think as often as this has happened to new owners they would put something in the manual or the dealer would explain this during the walk through. matbe heartland could put a relay on the jacks that would shut the switch off before they reached the top? there are other problems that have been brought up many times and heartland makes no changes. i love my sundance and have not had many problems and the forum has helped fixing those.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have an ElkRidge and blew 2 fuses on mine this weekend. The toggle switch had gone bad and would apparently retract while I was towing. My dealer is getting me a new one. I traced the wiring back and about a foot behind the switch I found the inline fuse.

TedS

My previous sob trailer had a red tape from the factory wrapped around each leg to mark the 'stop retract' place. Would be easy for Heartland to do.