cruise control

mountain1

I searched and did not see anything. My friends with motorhomes use cruise all the time. i have avoided doing so. Any thoughts or comments?

Bighurt

I use it except as listed above. Tow/haul as well...

Now if I could just get someone to steer...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too use cruise control, especially towing with tow-haul...allows the computer to keep constant speeds with grade braking, etc.

mesteve

I tend to not use cruise when towing the 5er as it keeps the tranny 1 gear lower than I can do when I am in control.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we start out on a trip with the trailer, I feel sort of like an airline pilot-ignition-on, tow haul-on, exhaust brake-on. Then when I get up to speed on the highway, I turn on and set the cruise control, and we are on the way!

Works every time.

Bighurt

Always use ours on open highways. Set it at 62 MPH and let 'er run.

62...that seams like a strange number to choose. I myself cruise at 70, even when speed limit increases to 75 I stick to 70. I used to run at 65 but with my upgrades she almost runs smoother at 70 now than she did at 65.

Jay I like the pilot analogy, with all the gizmo's etc the new TV's have I'm surprised the headliner doesn't have toggles.

I saw something I've never seen someone do when breaking camp the other day. Full walk around with a light and brake check...must be a professional driver. I myself always do a walk around. Those pesky 12 volt lamps always seam to bounce loose. And you never know when the wife will put up the antenna. I also do the S maneuver starting out, so I can check free roll.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I searched and did not see anything. My friends with motorhomes use cruise all the time. i have avoided doing so. Any thoughts or comments?
mountain1, a lot depends on your tow vehicle/trailer combo. If your rig is on the heavy side and it causes your transmission to kick in and out of torque convertoer lock up, you may not want to use the cruise. If your trans stays locked in except for an uphill grade, you should be OK using cruise. It's the constant in & out of lockup and shifting that will cause premature wear and heat build up. If your truck has a trans temperature gage, keep an eye on it.
So what's the correct spelling? :confused: Gauge or gage???:rolleyes:

jnbhobe

I say guage is right Ray! lets see how it comes out. LOL As far as cruise control I use it a lot on the interstate on the 2 lanes I like the pedel. I think if you use the pedel you could increase your mileage but you have to let it loose some speed on the hills.

SilverRhino

I saw something I've never seen someone do when breaking camp the other day. Full walk around with a light and brake check...must be a professional driver. I myself always do a walk around. Those pesky 12 volt lamps always seam to bounce loose. And you never know when the wife will put up the antenna. I also do the S maneuver starting out, so I can check free roll.

This is a practice that we have always followed......Do the same if leaving on a trip with just the TV! ( Habit passed down from my Firefighter father )

One additional reason for 62 over 70, In My Opinion, is that a lot less Highway passes by when you are required to make an emergency stop, laws of physics will always win.

danemayer

I use cruise control unless traffic speed is erratic. In the mountains, cruise control manages speed nicely, especially downhill. Coming down Colorado I70 from the Eisenhour tunnel to Silverthorne, I set it at 35, turned on the exhaust brake, and never touched the brakes.

JJnLilly

I use the cruise whenever possible. I set mine at about 63 (I know why an odd number - but that puts my RPM's at 1700 and get my best MPG there when towing) and go for it. Leave it on except when hitting the mountains or long grades.

skyguy

In the areas we tend to camp in Colorado, I don't get to use cruise control very much. I tend to drive by the gauges (proper spelling), especially watching the EGT, or temp of the turbo. I tried cruise once, but found the turbo gauge could go up way in the red - wayyy tooo hot trying to keep the speed I had set, going uphill.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Big, the 62 MPH is for california. Once out of Ca. I usually set about 68-70 depending on the terrain. I like to keep the RPM's about 1650-1750. The fuel mileage is better. I don't have as much downshifting at those RPM's.

A "guage" is a meter that gives one a reading of sorts.

"Gage" is like taking a measurement. " I gage it to be about a mile away".

At least when I went to school........but who knows what they mean now.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I to use my cruse control along with the tow/haul on our GMC. Usually set it for 60-62 when traveling on interstare highways and traffic is no problem. I get better milage there and I would rather have folks pass me than me pass them when towing the Bighorn.

porthole

Retired
Been using cruise forever.
Even installed some of the first aftermarket types that were nothing more then converted throttle adjusters (truck style)

Back in the mid to late 70's I installed the first version of electronic cruise. Nothing more then an electrically activated throttle lock. SInce then every car I have owned either came with it or I installed it. Same with my bikes as far back as 1974.

Event he current motorcycles have a full electronic cruise control.

As for towing the trailer - all the time. Even at the lower speeds where speed is critical - small towns with 35 limits etc.

So Bob - do you remember those early cruise kits?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I say guage is right Ray! lets see how it comes out. LOL As far as cruise control I use it a lot on the interstate on the 2 lanes I like the pedel. I think if you use the pedel you could increase your mileage but you have to let it loose some speed on the hills.
I agree but my spell checker wants "gage". I think I can add gauge to it's list of words though.:rolleyes: