e/z lube results

bdb2047

Have just now been able pull wheels to pack bearings,I usually do this before using camper.Camper was new 11/2010 due to late delievery did not have time before leaving for Fl for winter.Also I do not now or ever use e/z lube have seen to many bad conditions because of it.I sent pics to dealer will see what happens .I would suggest for anyone who has not had brakes checkd to do so even if new.This is first I have put pics on hope it works.Update dealer had me call Dexter,they are sending new brake assembly (2) and new seals. outstanding response
PICT0002b.JPGPICT0001b.JPGPICT0004.JPG
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Last edited:

lwmcguir

This is another sad statement of the technicians or worker that put this together. You may not be any better off unless you do it yourself otherwise you might not get what you think. We had hubs/bearings repacked in the past to find they forgot one side of the trailer. If you can do it yourself or go to a shop you have faith in and then check the results. A lot of sloppy work out there and not just in the brake area. We have used the EZ-Lube for years very successfully however you have to do it properly as is the case for most things. Thank goodness the Truck manufacturers seem to have much better QA than do trailer manufacturers.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are they Lippert or Dexter axles. In any case who ever assembled yours should be fired or horse whipped. The only thing in your favor is that lining will never wear out. LOL

rebootsemi

Are they Lippert or Dexter axles. In any case who ever assembled yours should be fired or horse whipped. The only thing in your favor is that lining will never wear out. LOL

Probably was doing ok with the assembly until they reached for the air grease gun, then things went out of control. Why does everybody insist on so much grease, maybe the thinking that if a little is good than a whole bunch is better.

caissiel

The same exact situation happened to my trailer the first trip to florida with our 2009. I have a feeling its the improper methiod used in greasing the hubs. The instruction I hear from other owners that just give it a few shots of grease once in while is a complet NO NO. There is only one way to grease these hubs and I dought some service centers use it. And every time this is done there is increased chance to introduce grease in the brake area.
The wheel has to be off the ground and rotated freely to alow pumping the grese through the rear bearing. Without rotating the wheel the grease takes the easiest route and pushes the seals out and grease leaks out as mine was on all 4 wheels.

Last edited:

bdb2047

Some more info.2 of hubs had to much grease much more than other 2 and grease was seeping out ruuber cap on dust cover and all over entire brake assy..No real way to measure how much.Also grease did not seam to be thick would run out of drum when on work bench.Don"t if it is broken down quessing about 5000 miles including delivery from factory.I cleaned it out and repacked w.synthetic.I'm old enough to remember when wheel bearing grease was thick and stringy and front wheel bearing maintinance was routine on cars.

lwmcguir

Something is way wrong with the grease. Wheel bearing grease is still sticky and has a very high melting point. Sounds like you have 90 Weight oil for an oil type hub. It should never drip even if it had 100,000 miles on it. This should certainly go all the way back to the top of the food chain at the factory.

rebootsemi

Something is way wrong with the grease. Wheel bearing grease is still sticky and has a very high melting point. Sounds like you have 90 Weight oil for an oil type hub. It should never drip even if it had 100,000 miles on it. This should certainly go all the way back to the top of the food chain at the factory.

Sounds like somebody put 90 wt gear oil in the hubs, if it is you can tell by the smell. So that begs the question: Why don't they use wet hubs on these trailers? Have been using them on grown up trailers and truck hubs since about the mid 60's. All they would have to do is change the out side cap to a windowed cover like the trucks so you can see the gear lube, might have to upgrade the inner seal, no more packing bearings or blowing out seals with grease guns.........just wondering!

lwmcguir

The standard seems to be 10K axles. All of ours 10K or heavier have oil hubs. They certainly are better but the only rigs (Campers) you find them on are the high upper end. I agree I would rather have them any day.

Last edited:

chief190

I recently took my unit to dealer and all four brake assemblies where covered with grease. They had to replace all four backing plates assemblies and one drum and shoe had come apart. I am also a senior master ford tech. grease is thinner now than years ago. The grease on mine looks just like yours. The pictures you took could be my trailer axles they are so simular. We took delivery of ours in November also. We should not have to look at brakes before towing trailer. Mine is at the dealer waiting for payment from dexter before I pick it up after ther holiday. The grease is not gear oil it is grease after 32 years in the business I think I know the difference. I believe heartland has a real big problem here they need to look at.