REVIEW FOR THE NEW FX23's MAIDEN VOYAGE

We picked her up this past Friday and just couldn't wait to try the new trailer out. We only live 7 miles away from Ft. Clinch State Park, in Florida, and were lucky enough to find availability when I checked R.A. My days off are Monday and Tuesday so it usually works out that somewhere close to us has a spot. We made the reservations and awaited departure day.
The loading of our new TT was a learning experience for us. You see, we have come over to the darkside from lessor camping abodes. The DW and I started camping in a tent, then moved to an old popup when the DS arrived, and now with a DD and a big dog, it was time for the move to a trailer! Well, the fit and finish is very nice... but, I'd like a little more storage down below the sink area and along the side of the refrigerator. We determined that those beautifully etched glass cabinets above the dinning booth are going to be put to practical use, and I'm sure that's what they were placed there for. ;) I really liked that the rear bottom bunk folded up for bike storage. I was able to fit by mountain bike into that area without removing any component from the bike. There was even room for additional storage of nicknacks. The fridge is huge, but cools down much much slower than the freezer. You know, looking back on the loading process, it went relatively smoothly for trying to pack this camper for the FIRST time. Undoubtedly the next time will be easier.
This was the first time that I had ever set up a TT! The dealer didn't provide us with a check list or guide of any sort, so the set up was by memory from the tech briefing. It's late May in Florida, so first thing first was to get that air conditioning up and running. While setting up the other utilities I honestly didn't even know whether or not to open the water spigot once I attached my regulator and fresh water hose! I gambled and opened it, we had water. Once we unpacked the truck and organized the campsite to our satisfaction I thought that I might drop the awning. One word, OUCH! I about crushed my right index finger trying to figure that monster out. Just be cautious of your winds. We were literally one hundred feet from the Atlantic Ocean and the wind was gusty. I put the awning up just minutes after unfurling the **** thing. It had a few blood stains added to the striped pattern. :D
Ft Clinch was great! We are locals so we had some friends out on our second night for a few frozen drinks. The stars were in full force and we even saw a nuclear Boomer sub come back into port at Kings Bay Sub base. I biked the beach all the way up to the fort and put my hand on the side of it. Good times, and we are pleased with the FX23 Focus Edition. We'll be heading out on an extended trip this Independence Day and you know that there will be a full briefing on that. Let's see how she does for 10 nights on the road!

BOTTOMS UP!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great review. It sounds like you had a great time and a really nice place to go. You also learned about awnings and wind. At least no stitches eh?