Trail Air Hitch

Rodbuster

Hello,
Just got my new Key Largo home this weekend.
When I left the dealership the hitch was at the tip of the arrow...just like the dealer told me it should be. When I got home (about 125 miles) the hitch was about 1/2" below the tip of the arrow.
Is this normal, or am I leaking air. Also, does anybody know how much air pressure I should have in the system, either when it is hitched up or when it is unhitched?

Thank you
Rodbuster

Bighurt

Dealer was right it should be at the arrow when connected to the TV essentially ride height. I'm not sure what it is when not connected as I don't actually have one.

It sounds like you have a leaking schrader valve, as I'm assuming you aren't hearing an air leak. A slow leak in the valve is nearly impossible to hear, you can test it with soapy water and observe bubbles. I would do this for the entire air containment portion of the system. Check for leaks first.

As for air pressure you can measure the air pressure with a tire gauge. Also when connected or not the air pressure will remain relatively constant. The load placed on the air bag isn't compressing* the air its displacing the air and the containment of the bag through this displacement is what gives you the support.

*minor compressing will occur but not more than a few PSI.

davebennington

I have found that pumping the air bag up to the top of the arrow on the shock it is way to harsh a ride. I like it about 1/2 to 3/4 up from the bottom the ride is smoother. I believe the positioning of the level on the arrow directly corresponds to what the pin weight of the unit is.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That position at the arrow will change when you start out and when you stop. I have my wife note the position when we are on a flat road. You will have to learn what it does and at what pressure. When you are satisfied with the performance, check the pressure when you unhitch. Use that as a guide.
If you suspect a leak, use a mixture of dish detergent and a little water and look for bubbles.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Good topic, as I am heading to Lippert next week to have my tri glide installed, hope I don't have any problems, don't need to open a can of worms.

brianharrison

I measure about 62 psi in the air bag when inflated to the tip of the arrows. Yours will probably be different depending on your configuration.

As mentioned it does vary a bit with change in load on the hitch. I carry an old bicycle pump if I need to add air.

I don't worry too much about 1/2 or 3/4 inch lower; I suspect the guide arrows are there to place the shock in about the middle of its travel range.

Take care,
Brian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All good replies here. Yes the arrow is more of a general starting point. As cookie said, on level ground with no pressure forward or aft on the pin otherwise it will line up differently. Also, cool morning temperatures will cause you to think you need air in the bag. Not really. Direct sun on warm days will also affect the mark so to speak. Warm hot air expands and cool air contracts.
Acceleration and braking also change it's appearance but you'll get used to it soon enough. When mine was new I had ro remove the fill fitting, clean the threads and reseal using good thread compound. Since then, no leaks at all.