Running generator while towing

davidg

Has anyone out their ran their generator while towing their rv? And would you know if this could / would damage any electrical parts on the truck or rv?

trvlrerik

During the summer I leave the generator on, run the a/c and have the fridge on electric to keep it cold. I have not had any problems doing this and it sure is nice after pulling on a hot day and have the camper cool and the food/drinks cold.

alkyspeed

I have run the generator many times while traveling. Great for cooling the interior, running the fridge and also a way to EXERCISE the generator. That's what it's made for.

PhotoPete

I believe its legal to ride in a regular travel trailer in the state of Michigan. We have never done it, and i cant quite imagine it, but i guess its legal.

hoefler

In the state of Missouri, It is legal only if in a fifth wheel and there is a communication link with the driver such as a FRS radio or intercom, not a cell phone.

SilverRhino

Duane;

Does your wife ride in the trailer just for a specific task like starting a meal or does she routinely do it?

I'm just curious......Never really thought of anyone riding in the trailer underway.

Randy

Bighurt

I'd be curious as well.

We have a long trip planned this fall and we had considered having the wife and kids rid in the coach, while I drive. We already have two way radios.

The benefits are mostly for me although we can convert the dinette and they can lay down, vs sit in the truck.

Obviously there are negatives to it as well, right now I don't for see it happening but I'd be curious to here Duane DW's reason for coach riding.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I knew a man that towed a trailer from a park in Colorado for his brother in law. The morning that he left to take it home, his wife and her sister (new owner of the trailer) had slept in the trailer overnight because he wanted to leave very early in the morning. He had already hooked the truck up to the trailer, so he just got in and took off down the road. They had planned this, but didn't think about a large moose running out in front of them, and since they had no warning of the quick stop, they both were thrown on the floor. I think one of them broke an arm, but it could have been pretty serious.

tmcran

After seeing a 5th wheel flip in CO last summer no one is going to ride in a RV when I'm driving. The 5er looked like a bomb had gone off inside. Let's u really see how weak these things are made.

beardedone

Beardedone
I am a retired PO now but I clearly remember when a number of years ago a camper came off a pick up and just exploded, and killed the two kids riding up top!

ParkIt

Riding in the trailer aside - running the generator while driving won't hurt anything AFAIK. Used to ride that way for years in the MH with no issues at all, manual even mentioned if it was too hot to run it for the house AC.

porthole

Retired
Does your wife ride in the trailer just for a specific task like starting a meal or does she routinely do it?

I'm just curious......Never really thought of anyone riding in the trailer underway.

She has back and neck issues and is most comfortable laying down - and the back seat is already taken up by two Golden Retrievers. And the truck is not as comfortable as the bed
Doesn't do it all the time, just when she has had enough in the truck.
She has been back there as long as 6 hours and has slept well enough that she woke up pulling up to the driveway.