Dead Battery

OBX-GL

Ok, so i guess i pulled a rookie mistake. Put the trailer in storage, about three weeks now. Checked it today and the battery is dead. I checked that all was off but realized now i did not unplug the microwave.

What should i be doing? Is there and easy way (at the panel) to turn everything off? Should i be disconnecting the battery? Should i install a disconnect? Will shore power charge my battery or do i need to trickle charge it?

Hmmm....

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
You should either take off a battery cable or put an on off switch in one of the lines. your carbon monoxide detector is always on and if you have a car like radio that shows the time all the time it to is taking power. believe me I found out the hard way myself. I bought an on off 50 amp switch at wal-mart in the auto section no problem since

branson4020

Icantre Member
Your microwave will not drain your battery. If you are going to store your rig for extended periods without shore power, you should disconnect your battery. When plugged in to shore power, the built-in converter in your rig will do a much better job of charging the battery than any trickle charger.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Shore power should charge your battery. Just be sure to keep an eye on the water level. Mine stays plugged in all the time.
If you cant leave it plugged in, do as GMC said and install a battery cut off.

Peace
Dave

OBX-GL

So... are you suggesting three weeks is not enough time to drain the battery? I thought the microwave display and the co detector and some similar devices might be enough to kill it. Are you thinking i might have another issue if it's dead after 3 weeks?

GOTTOYS

Microwave operates on 120 volts only. The display should not be on when you are on 12 volts. However you do have a memory in the radio, CO2 detector, propane leak detector, 12 volt circuit board in refer to pull the battery down. Yes, that is more than enough to kill the battery in 3 weeks. It also depends on which battery was installed at the dealer. Many use the cheapest, smallest they can buy just to get by. The type 27 deep cycle has the highest capacity of the common 12 volt batteries. Mine came with a type 24 combination marine staring and deep cycle, which is smaller, has less capacity and being a combination starting and deep cycle is not going to last as long. I disconnect mine when it is parked. You can install a switch to make this easier. Yes, your battery will charge off your 120/12 volt converter when you are plugged in and it will also charge off your tow vehicle electrical system when going down the road. I think the charging circuit on your Dodge 7 pin plug is always hot so I would recommend unplugging it at night if you just stop for a quick overnight to prevent your truck battery from going dead. Other makes have a relay that shuts the power off when the truck is not running...Don

OBX-GL

Thanks all !

i pulled the battery out and charged it back up.Good to know the shore power will do the same.Very useful thought was the overnight travel 7 pin note as that would not be fun. I will find a switch/disconnect and install it with the recharged battery.