slideout movement

duke

Hello, I was looking at a 2800rls this past week and I saw something that made me a little nervous. The main room slide appeared crooked. It was farther away from the wall at the top than the bottom. The dealer said that they were all a little different. I agree to that but the frame actually looked crooked when looking from the rear of the trailer towards the TV area. Then when the dealer went out of the trailer as he stepped on the steps exiting the trailer the entire slide actually moved at the top. It looked like it moved quite a bit. I would say the top moved about an inch,maybe a little more. As he stepped on each step the trailer would rock and the slide would wobble. I have been in other trailers with slide outs and have not see movement at the top of the slide. You could stand in the trailer and move from left to right ,facing the front and see the room move. The dealer didn't seem to be concerned. I would be embarrased to have my friends over and have this happen. We did go to another brand and rocked the trailer from side to side and in one brand saw no movement at all. the other brand might have moved very slightly. Both of these were ok to me. The question is : is this typical for the Sundance, when the slide is out should the moulding overall appear to be vertical? Should the slide be stable? It's difficult to describe the amount of movement to someone via the internet,or a conversation. Believe me there was alot of movement at the top of this slide. Like I said we did not see this in any if the two other brands. What are your thoughts?? Thanks .

Forrest Fetherolf

Duke,

Slides fully extended should lock in place and not rock unless the whole rig rocks. According to Matt @ Recreational Specialties clearance between the slide and side wall should be between 1/2" to 1 1/2" when fully opened or fully closed. I think the 1" variance is too much. The four slides on my Bighorn are about 1/2" variance except down the lower skirt, they vary over 1". The lower skirt is flimsy aluminum.

It is possible a slide adjustment is all that is needed.

Forrest

DaleR

Hi Duke.
I agree with Forrest. We have three slides with the Big Country and when locked inplace they don't wobble or move.
Some dealers know the product they are selling, and some just don't have a clue. Dealer can always hook up the battery and do a demo for you.
Packer

tdharley

There is adjustments for that. If your dealer is telling you thats ok, find another dealer or speak to someone from the service department.

nhunter

Just picked mine up today from service. One the things they did was to align dining room slide as it didn't touch at the top when out or on the bottom when in. Drove 1hour through rain and good to go.

duke

I appreciate all the feed back. Sounds like the Sundance should be as tight as the other trailers. I guess I'll give that dealer a call. I hate to pass up a nice trailer because something needs adjusting. Thanks for all the feedback.

RickNB

Hi Duke

As a previous owner of a 2800RLS I never saw what you are describing. The slides when fully extended are snug up against the walls and dont move . It sounds like that slide is improperly adjusted or not fully extended and in proper lock position. Tell the dealer you are interested in this unit but not with the slide performing like it is. Is there another Sundance on the lot that you can look at and does it do the same?

Have Fun
Rick

duke

thanks again, sounds like the unit I have been looking at is not adjusted properly. What is this "locked position" you refer to? I did notice that the slides in the other manufacture units were very snug when I rocked the trailer. Maybe they lock? I really don't know very much about slides, just didn't feel comfortable with these having that much movement when other brands are tight. Again having the dealer tell me they were normal. Thanks for the feed back.

duke

Slideout movement

I see I entered this under Frequently asked questions. I guess I should have asked the factory.

Forrest Fetherolf

duke,

We refer to "locked position" as meaning the slide is fully extended or fully retracted so that the stationary wall "D" seal rubber is in contact with the slide flange and fits snuggly. There is no "locking device" per say.

Forrest

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Duke
The slide out have a stop position moving in or out. This is when the room is seated against the wall. There is an adjustment to align the room up and down, side to side and in and out distance. I would check with another dealer to see if you can find what you are looking for. A good service dept is well worth a little distance to travel to and it will make your experience alot nicer.