Edge and a Honda Pilot

Hi Everyone,

I am new and want to see if you experienced people have any experience with the edge and a 1st gen honda pilot TV?

2003-2009 I believe or close to that year range. I would be pushing my tow limits with an edge and wanted to see what your experiences were.

Thank you and much appreciated.

RonBB

I have not had any issues pulling a 2010 Edge M18 with a 2006 Acura MDX in the relatively flat west central Missouri. I just haven't had the occasion to tow in the mountains. I'm not sure some of the larger models would be a good idea with the MDX however. Be sure to look at all the weights (tongue, Gross, etc) when loaded. Best of luck.

In addition to weight, I would be concerned about the wheelbase of the vehicle in relation to how long the travel trailer is. Trailer sway sucks and if you have a heavier trailer with sway.....might be bad!

ParkIt

Not just sway but your motor engine is also going to take a beating if you have a 4 cyl. I'm just not thinking this would be a good idea, checked into one that would be pulled with a v6 Tacoma and still would be a little 'edgy' ;)

PhotoPete

Here is another conversation you might learn something from. I dont know anything about the Pilot and how it might relate to the Ridgeline. But more info is better than less.

PhotoPete

Yellowreef

With a weight distribution hitch, and almost no gear in the trailer or tv you could pull off some flatlands towing in the Pilot. Other than that I think you'd be better off with an MPG. The Edge will just go over your capacity as soon as you put any water or gear in it.

JeffN

We have a 2010 Honda Pilot that we use to pull our M22 Edge. It has a 4500 LB tow rating. Our M22 weighs in at 4,090 lbs with 2 full propane tanks, one battery, and a minimal amount of "stuff". We tow with a weight distributing hitch, anti-sway bar, and brake controller. We always drive with all tanks empty and it does fine on flat land and areas of moderate incline. With the short wheelbase it does seem like we get a bit of lateral sway anytime a tractor trailer passes along side of us (going the same direction). I've been told that tow vehicles with longer wheelbases don't experience this as much. We average about 10 mpg towing with the Honda. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable taking our setup into the mountains. the Honda doesn't tow well on steep inclines and steep declines would make me nervous (forgot to mention we are first time towers).

We do plan to eventually trade in the Honda for a truck or a V8 SUV. We intially purchased the Honda thinking we were going to buy a Trailmanor hard sided popup... then we fell in love with the Edge which puts us at our limits in terms of towing.

camr

Mike, I replied in the post that Photopete referred to above. Jeff's points are very valid. One comment that I would add it that we use a Reese sway control WDH and experience virtually no sway whatsoever. We primarily tow on two lane highways where the semi's are in the lane next to us. I very much feel that the Reese system is the way to go. I would also highly recommend the addition of an external transmission cooler. It is interesting that we also get 10 to 12 mpg.