Hitch weights vs. GVWR

Begone

We are looking at a new Sundance 2900MK and we really like the looks of this coach. However, in looking at the spec's I think it may be to heavy a coach (hitch weight) for my truck. I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 GVWR of 9200#. The truck with my wife and I, dog, hitch and full load of diesel is right at 7700#. The hitch weight on the coach is 1930# (according to the brochure) that puts me 430# over GVWR. Can anyone tell me if the hitch weight listed is for the coach fully loaded or dry? I never run with the trailer at max, just some food, clothes, and a little water. If that hitch weight is a fully loaded weight then I should be OK, but if it's dry then I would be in trouble. This is the first time I've had to be concerned with a hitch weight because all my other units have been smaller and lighter at the hitch. Thanks in advance for your advise.

jimtoo

Hi Begone,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The posted weights are average I think. The actual weight will depend on the accessories and other things. There are a lot of folks pulling with the 3/4 ton units. I'm sure you will get some more opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

grizzlygiant

Begone,
I cannot imagine a problem pulling a 2900MK, loaded, with your 2500 Chev. I pull a 2800 fully loaded (we full-time) with a Ram 2500. We have been across the USA 5 times and the setup is a pleasure to drive. Keep mind, however that I have a DODGE RAM.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I sent you a PM with some information that might be helpful.

Best Wishes!

branson4020

Icantre Member
We are looking at a new Sundance 2900MK and we really like the looks of this coach. However, in looking at the spec's I think it may be to heavy a coach (hitch weight) for my truck. I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 GVWR of 9200#. The truck with my wife and I, dog, hitch and full load of diesel is right at 7700#. The hitch weight on the coach is 1930# (according to the brochure) that puts me 430# over GVWR. Can anyone tell me if the hitch weight listed is for the coach fully loaded or dry? I never run with the trailer at max, just some food, clothes, and a little water. If that hitch weight is a fully loaded weight then I should be OK, but if it's dry then I would be in trouble. This is the first time I've had to be concerned with a hitch weight because all my other units have been smaller and lighter at the hitch. Thanks in advance for your advise.

To specifically answer your question, the listed pin weight is dry, unloaded and with "average" options. Your loaded pin weight going down the road will most certainly be over 2000 lbs.

hoefler

If you take the dry pin weight and divide it by the dry GVW, this will give you the percentage of weight on the pin. Now take the max GVWR and multiply it by the percentage from your dry weight calculations. This is the potential loaded weight that you can expect on your tuck if fully loaded.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Begone, We have a 2007 2500HD and have no problems. I did install air bags to level out the rig + trailer. I can leave reno and head west on I80 and pull Donner Summit in cruise @ 55 with noooooooooooo problem. We love our 2010 2900MK!! Happy camping.

caissiel

I pulled a 1900Lbs dry weight trailer for 9 years with a GM 2500. It pulled it well and supported the loaded trailer well. I found the GM spring more capable then the F250 I have now, so I had to add one more ply on the F250 that I never needed on the GM. The GM is a much lighter truck then the Ford and you should be able to carry well. That is if the GM has not got worst then the 98 model I had.

Begone

I just received a call from our local dealer, who talked to the factory representative. According to the Factory rep. the published hitch weight is a worse case, fully loaded trailer weight. I was happy to hear that because all the published Sundance hitch weights are about 400# heavier than any other trailer we have been looking at. Our dealer has offered to let us take the rig to the local scales and do some weighing and we just might take him up on his offer. Thanks to everyone for the information, you have been most helpful.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I pull my 3600MK with my 2500HD with no problems. I do have 1500lb overloads for pulling my backhoe.

Peteandsharon

I am currently pulling a Bighorn 3055 with an '08 F-250. No problems at all. I have added a hellwig helper spring on the back but that is just for levelling purposes. It does not increase the load bearing capacity. I had previously pulled the same trailer with an '99 F-250 which did not have the same payload capacity as the newer Ford. That one did give me some cause for concern although we never actually had a problem with it. As long as your tires are good and your rig is not overloaded, you should be fine.