ATF: Elk / Eagle Ridge - wall studs and slam baggage door questions

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can I please get a drawing of where the studs might be in the outer wall be they stairs in my Elk Ridge 34QSRL? The 5ver did not have a hand rail when we bought it, but thanks to HL customer service, they sent me one, no charge. Now I need to know where I can mount it. :eek:

Second question, we have an early 2010. We have original style baggage doors. Can we order the slam baggage doors that are on the 2011's? (Do the slam baggage doors fit the same opening? Ours has radial corners). If they can fit the same opening, how much do they cost? I am talking about the large door on each side of the basement only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Erika

goodtruck

I am glad that you asked this question.I was at the dealer yesterday and saw that they were putting slam doors on the new units.I was thinking that it would be cool to do it to our early 2010 Eagle Ridge.Hope you get a reply from the factory soon.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The handrail installation is a touchy-feely thing. If it's on an outside bathroom wall/stairway. If you push on the wall you will feel the studs. A "stud finder" will work also.

The slam doors are not a direct fit. They are thicker than your. Might take a little more work than you think. I'm sure it can be done.

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post. It took a little time to get back with you.

You have already received the best advice for the handrail. You must screw into a stud for the hand rail to work. If you are facing toward the front of the coach at the bottom of the steps, you must mount handrail on the bathroom wall. The sidewall (outside wall) does not have wood studs to screw into.

As far as slam baggage doors, the are all a different size. If you get the correct sizing, they can be retrofitted, however this is about a 7 on 10 scale for frustration. There will be some shimming and lots of sealing to do. This should be done by a dealer, however if you are handy, you may be able to accomplish.

I hope this helps.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the great advice!

I was hoping to put it on the outer wall to avoid the pocket door, but good to know, I can't do that. :p
And secondly, I don't need any additional frustration.... I'll just know the next HL I get will have those doors.;)

Erika