Our New Tow Vehicle for the Cyclone

rustyshakelford

Just picked up our new tow vehicle for the cyclone last night. Decided to upgrade from the 2500 duramax. After some steep grades we wanted an integrated exhaust brake.

2011 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longhorn

So far we love it, but it only has about 100 miles now. Going to try and get the B&W hitch installed at the end of the week or next.

brett

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Very nice.

I am amazed at the exhaust brake. There are times when we have to give it gas going down the mountains.

Bighurt

I don't have an exhaust brake but the tow module on the 6.4 changes the variegated turbo blades to effect compression and slow the truck. Combined with the TCM it has a similar effect to a Jake. Very very nice feature, and yes I've had to accelerate downhill due to the effects.

I like the color, nice addition.

GOTTOYS

Nice truck! That new color combo is looking good. You're really going to like the new Ram...Don

Moose

Great truck. You will enjoy having it. And you will enjoy towing with it as well.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Very nice! IMO the two tone makes all the difference on the new Dodge's. I looked at them real hard before ending up with the Ford. I still love my 5.9 Cummins though.

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 37

hoefler

A decision you will not regret! I traded one year to soon, would have loved to get the High Output 6.7!

porthole

Retired
Just picked up our new tow vehicle for the cyclone last night. Decided to upgrade from the 2500 duramax. After some steep grades............

So you decided on a new trailer that wasn't too big for your truck, were happy, bought the trailer and then said - "we need a bigger truck"

Yeah - been there done that.

Attachments

• D70_1207.JPG
    D70_1207.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 32

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yup, been the same route. Bought a truck, then a fiver, then a bigger truck.

Attachments

• truck2.JPG
    truck2.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 24
  • truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 26

rustyshakelford

So you decided on a new trailer that wasn't too big for your truck, were happy, bought the trailer and then said - "we need a bigger truck"

Yeah - been there done that.

i knew you would understand! I love the chevys ride and it has tons of power, but it didnt have an exhaust brake. When I bought it, i had no idea we would be getting a camper either. On our last couple trips, it has been unusually windy. We were getting pushed all over the road. Im hoping that the dually will be a little more stable and the addition of two extra wheels will give me a little more piece of mind in the event of a drive tire blowout (hoping it wont take out a fender)

That ford looks great hooked to your 3010! we have a couple grass trucks with the ford 6.7 and they run great and the factory brakes are very quick at slowing ya down!

brett

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Very, very pretty (I'm a girl, so I get to say "pretty") I kind of thought you might get a bigger truck after pulling that Cyclone home, but didn't know what kind of trowing you guys did. We're in the same club. Truck, trailer, 'nother bigger truck. Enjoy, it makes a very eye catching package and I think you'll like the difference a dually makes.

ParkIt

Can you say Hemi? ;) Nice looking truck. Interesting to know the turbo blades and TCM can act like a Jake (without the rumble) but it makes sense. The two-tone looks great as well, going to be some head turners when you are out indeed.

Won't have a problem with "need a bigger truck", we put the cart before the horse intentionally because all I've been used to up till now were the big boy MH's so I wasn't sure what we'd need. Would still like to get a shorty though, wouldn't really use the long bed.

Moose

Can you say Hemi? ;) Nice looking truck. Interesting to know the turbo blades and TCM can act like a Jake (without the rumble) but it makes sense. The two-tone looks great as well, going to be some head turners when you are out indeed.

Won't have a problem with "need a bigger truck", we put the cart before the horse intentionally because all I've been used to up till now were the big boy MH's so I wasn't sure what we'd need. Would still like to get a shorty though, wouldn't really use the long bed.

It does have a nice sweet sounding rumble, especially in tow/haul mode. I love how it slows the vehicle down as truck downshifts. Works great and sounds nice too.:angel:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Really pretty truck!! Yeah, I too am a girl and can say "pretty"...LOL

We contemplated waiting for the Dodge HO to come out when we were looking in March, but decided we wanted a new vehicle before hitting the road again in April. Fell in love with this new Chevy and am not sorry at all about switching trucks...sure you will love your new Dodge just as much. That two toned paint is really classy looking...

rustyshakelford

Really pretty truck!! Yeah, I too am a girl and can say "pretty"...LOL

We contemplated waiting for the Dodge HO to come out when we were looking in March, but decided we wanted a new vehicle before hitting the road again in April. Fell in love with this new Chevy and am not sorry at all about switching trucks...sure you will love your new Dodge just as much. That two toned paint is really classy looking...

i was really torn on waiting for the HO also. but we have a big trip to colorado in september and i wanted to get a some towing miles on it before we left to make sure there wasnt going to be any avoidable glitches. Not to mention, from what ive heard, good deals are still a couple months out on them also.

hope we made the right choice, but im sure this will have enough power to do what we do.

brett

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I love the way my new Dodge pulls the trailer. Very nice to engage the exhaust brake and the tow/haul tranny. With the fuel prices today, I'm getting 11+ mpg towing too! The HO would have been nice but it wasn't available when we bought. Wish there was a retrofit but apparently not.

DMitch

That is one super nice looking truck, love the color combinations. Good luck with it I'm sure your going to enjoy it.