Bushing replacement

davebennington

I was checking out the coach and it was time to grease the spring shackles. I noticed that the grease went in and came out of the end of the shackle really easy. This got me wondering if I had a problem, I decided to check further lucky for us, because the bushings were wore out. I ordered a complete set from Lippert, and started the replacement job. All that said, this is not a job to undertake if you don't have a garage full of tools, air impact, air chisel, bushing knocker and assorted other hand tools.
I don't know how much an RV shop would charge for this service but it might be worth it to check as this is a labor intensive and dirty job.

A note for anyone who has greaseable shackles, grease and check them often.

dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the comments! I often wondered if that job would be for the "challenged" mechanic! I bsically have no tools except a few hand tools for small fix-it projects. Is adding the wet bolt kit as labor & tool intensive?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave is right, grease and check them often. I was at the Lippert shop two weeks ago and saw a 2004 Landmark in for some repairs. The wet bolts had been neglected for way too long. I suspect since they were installed. The shackle bolts were severely worn, not to mention what the pieces of the bushings looked like.
It only takes about ten minutes to grease them and about fifty cents worth of grease. I grease them often.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
But the question remains: Is installing wet bolts something for the novice shade tree mechanic to attempt, or does it require more expertise? Woodworking tools, I've got. Auto mechanic tools beyond socket sets and wrenches, not so much.

GOTTOYS

There is a pretty extensive "How to" over on another major forum. It's easiest if you have a ball joint press, which is a super heavy c-clamp to push the knurled ends of the bolts into place so they lock in and can't rotate. The kit for the press is around $40-50 bucks from Harbor Freight. A large c-clamp probably won't work as it can't generate enough pressure to press them in before it falls apart. I have the kit and the tools but not the inclination. I don't like working on my driveway on projects like that as the neighbors wouldn't appreciate having something all torn apart in front of my house. I have another place to work on it just need a little more ambition. It looks like it's at least a half day job if all goes well...Don

davidg

If you don't have all of the tools it will just take a little longer, if you had the teflon bushing they should come out very easy by placing the new one on the old and the bolt to line them up, tapping lightly the old should slide right out and the new in it's place, if not see if you would have a socket that will just fit inside the spring and try doing the same. :rolleyes:

davebennington

You all are correct IMO this is NOT a project for just anybody to take on. In my situation the bushings were in real bad shape thus the air chisel, and I should have replaced the shackle bolts also just to be safe, project for another time. I did not remove the springs, I did the install with them in place. If someone has the time and access to a press the best way might have been to remove the springs and press the old bushing out and then press the new ones in. In my situation we have the Mor/ryde suspension on our coach an that would mean removing that to press those bushing also.
The teflon bushing might have been a better choice however I went with the bronze just like the originals. If you go with these be careful they break easy and don't like to be hammered on.

dave

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have a pretty extensive tool collection in my shop. I am retired out of the service and back on the family farm. I work on tractors, trucks, trailers, etc. There are a lot of tools that you can get from the loan a tool program from most major auto parts stores. They require you to put a replacement cost deposit up but when you return the tool you get your money back. There are several times that I have used this because it makes no since in tieing up money into tools that get used once every 3 to 4 years. Point is this might be a place to get some tools to make your job a little easier.

Also, can't stress the grease gun enough.