What are you towing your Bighorn 3055 with?

Denise

DH is thinking of changing out his 2500 Silverado D/A truck for a used 1 ton PU to pull our new Bighorn 3055. We haven't used the 5th wheel yet and haven't had it weighed. Will SRW work, or is a dually a better choice? For long trips we'll be pulling with a toterhome - no weight issues there - this truck is for shorter trips, back and forth to storage and non-camper related driving.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I am using a '06 Chevy 3/4 ton heavy duty as it will haul the same as a one ton srw. Just finished 3months and 5500 miles and got 11.9 mpg and had no problem. If anything I might put air bags on just to level the truck.
Rand

5catfam

I just got my 3055 and am towing it with a 2006 GMC 2500 HD CC D/A short bed and I have no problems at all. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Last edited:

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
F-350 used for 3055RL

We just purchased a 3055RL and picked it up in Elkhart, IN and have towed it to Minneapolis with a new F-350, SuperCab, Longbed, 11,400 GVW package, tow command system, SRW, and 6.0 Turbo-diesel. I would strongly recommend the "tow command" option, as it facilitates the electrical brake hookup and works great. The truck has NO Problem towing this 5th wheel.:)

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm towing mine with an '02 GMC D/A and it pulls great. I get between 11 and 13 mpg.

jwb187

My 08 3055rl tows great with my 05 2500HD D/A SB CC, I have installed Air lift airbags to help with lifting the box to level due to the pin weight of the 3055. I have had no towing issues and have tried a panic stop, and the GMC with Allison transmission stops the combo just as quick as with my previous pull behind travel trailer. I am over the GVWR for the truck by a few hundred lbs, however am under on tire specs (up graded tires to 265's) , axle capacity and GCVWR. I believe the SRW 2500HD with the duramax is a good towing companion for the 3055.

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
towing mine with a '99 F-250 SB 7.3 powerstoke. Added a leaf to the rear instead of airbags to level the truck. No problems here. The overall weight is not an issue at all. Its just heavy on the pin.

5erWonk

I'm towing my 3055 with an '06 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab. I installed airbags before I go it and use a B&W 5th Wheel Companion hitch. I picked up my BH in Knoxville in early March, towed it back to Cal (2300mi) and have not had any problems.

On our last trip which was a week long I weighed when we left fully loaded and full fuel tanks I was 125lbs over GVWR.

vangoes

I'm towing with a 2004 F-250 ext. cab, SB 4x4. Installed Timbrens SES to maintain level profile. Have towed 5,000 miles since November and no problems.

I am towing my 3055 with a 2000 Ford S/D CC, added Air bags, Predator, Brakesmart and 65 gallon American Tank. This works for me and the air Bags keep the Back end up due to excessive weight of the fuel.

Dale Smith

FL50 fREIGHTLINER

We are towing our new 2008 3055 with our 2000 FL50 Freightliner with a RV Hauler conversion. Lots of HP and Torque, and know it is overkill form the trailer .....but we go down the road very comfortable. I was buying and upgrading pickups every 2-3 years before I bought this 2 years ago .....for less than I paid for my last pickup.....and I get better mileage!
It is truly an extra expense though ....since it sits parked with the trailer when we aren't travelling Oh well ...you can alwys try to justify all the toys you have !!

randes

We pull our 2008 3055 with a 2008 F-350 PSD SRW Short Bed. Pulls great. Turns great. Don't need any helper air bags on the truck.

We have now pulled the trailer about 3,500 miles all total. Everything working great! On our way to Alaska for the summer.