Tomatoes

PhotoPete

We finally got the tomatoes planted! It's been a slow ramp up to what I guess is late spring/early summer. Lets hope we don't get any more frosts.

I'm sure many of you out there had them in the ground a long time ago.

PhotoPete

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We have already had some on the table! We planted 12 different varieties and so far the "Black Prince" and "Mr. Stripey" are outperforming all the others.
Yum Yum!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For the first 4 years of our full time lifestyle, we brought tomato plants back north with us (Lin's idea). This year I convinced her to buy them when we got back up here. We have flowers but no fruit yet. I got so tired of moving them darn plants around every time we stopped:rolleyes:. Lin also started a few plants from seed but that's a really slow process. Only a few inches high right now.
The way I see it, tomato's are available in the store.;););)

PhotoPete

The last couple years have been tough for us. poor yields, and lousy quality. Did a total soil makeover this year. hoping that helps. now if i can just keep the critters away.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is a suggestion that my dear departed Father-in-law used. Put dried leaves on top of the soil. They help to keep the soil cooler which prevents the bottom of the tomatoes from burning. The leaves also help hold in the moisture and prevent premature evaporation. Man, could he grow tomatoes. The last year he was here he planted 18 plants and we got hundreds of tomatoes. After the plants are gone mix the leaves into the soil to prep it for next year. For the soil he used a mixture of peat moss, Miracle Grow soil, top soil, and the leaves. Periodically, spray the soil with Miracle Grow. Keep them watered (the soil not the plants as the sun can burn the plants if they are wet. You should have a great crop. We carry two plants with us and have had numerous tomatoes so far this year. Good Luck

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
You are right Ray!! But there is just some thing about a home grown tomato that is just plain yummy!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim, thats interesting that you carry tomato plants with you. Sam told me we will be carrying tomato plants and a couple of herb plants.

We have found out that is the quickest way to find out who is FTing or at least traveling for long periods of time...see who has plants with them. :)

PhotoPete

Yesterday i installed a drip system for the plants. Hopefully that will help and perhaps reduce the number of weeds that crop up. My dinner plate is ready!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, thats interesting that you carry tomato plants with you. Sam told me we will be carrying tomato plants and a couple of herb plants.

We have found out that is the quickest way to find out who is FTing or at least traveling for long periods of time...see who has plants with them. :)

The funny part is back in March we bought the plants. One of them had small tomatoes on it. The 2 plants looked great. Then we went to Elkhart to get some repairs done at the factory. We left the plants in the RV for the week the repairs were being done. When we picked up the RV the plants looked dead. DW cut them back and now they look even better and we are picking tomatoes again. We will probably have tomatoes through October if we take care of them. Sure saves buying them and they taste so much better too. We planted them in small portable containers what have a built in trellis. When we move we put a trash back on the floor of the RV and set them right inside the door. They travel fine.