Water heater propane ignition issues

FogNobber

I have a 2011 North Country Lakeside 261RLS. The WH seemed fine on propane for the first few days then got a cold shower one morning. When trying to get it to relight on several attempts got a loud bang from the heater but eventually it did relight. Had the unit checked by the dealer who used compressed air to blow it out but did nothing else. This weekend it seemed fine on Fri & Sat. but sometime overnight Sat. the unit apparently when into lockout (after 3 attempts to light) as I once again had cold water on Sun. morning. Several attempts to relight it resulted in a very loud whooshing noise when the propane ignited but the heater did not light after 2 cycles (of 3 attempts each cycle). This morning before heading home from camp tried again and the heater lit normally. Hate to go back to the dealer, big inconvenience and a 70 mile trip, any help appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi FogNobber,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share when needed.

I can't help you with your problem, but someone here will be able to give suggestions or maybe have had the same problem as to the cure.

Enjoy the forum and your new North Country.

Jim M

pegmikef

One thing that has affected mine in the past is air in the line so now I routinely check for air in the line by lighting a stove burner. When there is air the gas pushes it out of the burner and it eventually lights. Then all my gas stuff seems to work ok. In my case the stove is the farthest appliance from the propane tanks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't know enough to help, but.... Just something else to consider: We've had breezy conditions at just the right angle outside blow out the flame or make it hard to light. Another thought... You don't have to leave the HWH on all the time. We usually turn it on first thing in the morning... until after our showers, then turn it off again. Again, on while we make lunch for the dishes afterward, then off. Then again just before dinner, for the dinner dishes, and off after that. It only takes about 30 min for the water to get hot and be ready to use.

E

hoefler

Check and see if there is a spider web in side the burner. You may have to pull the burner out and fish it out with a wire. Do not use compressed air, as it will push it further in the burner, and the only way to correct it if it is blown all the way into the burner is to replace it. The web will block the burner causing the propane to collect outside of it, then building up until it finds the igniter and going bang.

FogNobber

Update - ignition problem appears solved by moving the electrode thereby widening the spark gap for a larger spark. Now a new problem, the heater doesn't always come on when the water inside cools down (sometimes does) inside, cool showers first thing in the morning. Turn off the switch to reset it and it lights right up.
Any ideas?

FogNobber

How'd the appt go and if fixed what did they do? Suburban tech support recommends that I replace my electrode which appears to be something I can do, now trying to get one under warranty without returning to the dealer.

We have a 2011 Elkridge with the same issue. One tech who came out said that the bang/whoosh sound is "normal" but that does not feel right. I our case the explosion of gas has actually burnt the edges of a couple of the labels in the water heater cabinet and some of the sealent gel around the gas connections is burnt. The service tech should be back out next week to troubleshoot. Our unit does have the electric heat option, but the campground where we are seasonal cannot provide enough power to run the electric water heater and the air conditioner. Some choice, clean and sweaty or dirty and cool.

Could be worse - at least we're not at work. ;->

jimtoo

We have a 2011 Elkridge with the same issue. One tech who came out said that the bang/whoosh sound is "normal" but that does not feel right. I our case the explosion of gas has actually burnt the edges of a couple of the labels in the water heater cabinet and some of the sealent gel around the gas connections is burnt. The service tech should be back out next week to troubleshoot. Our unit does have the electric heat option, but the campground where we are seasonal cannot provide enough power to run the electric water heater and the air conditioner. Some choice, clean and sweaty or dirty and cool.

Could be worse - at least we're not at work. ;->

Hi JohnTaylor,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

One thing you might try is to look around and in the burner tube for spider webs or dirt dobber nest. If you have any of these, it will cause what your describing. Also the electric element will heat the water in a very short time, so you could maybe do without a/c for a few while the water heated.

Jim M

wdk450

Fognobber:
One very important thing to remember is that you don't have to go to your dealer for warranty service. You can go to whoever you choose, just call Heartland service for pre-approval when you have decided on a servicer. This might save on those long trips to the dealer.
Heartland service won't pay travel charges for on-site servicers.