Caulking question

olcoon

I've got a few areas on the roof that need to be recaulked. They are at the edge, where the roof meets the side walls. Rubber roof on one side of the seam, & fiberglass on the other side. I'm thinking I should use the same caulk that I use to caulk the seams on the sides of the 5er. Would this be correct, or do I need a "special" caulk?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The last word I got from Heartland Customer Service was they use a product claaed Sikaflex and I believe the product was 505UV. I have found another Sika product (#227) in gray. This is recommended for RV use as well. Dicor seems to be the standard and most frequently used...if you use it be sure to purchase "non-sag" for vertical applications.

olcoon

Thanks for the replys! Should I use the Dicor caulk at the edge, where the rubber roof meets the fiberglass for the sides? Just looking at, it appears that it's the same caulking as used on the rest of the 5er.

ParkIt

Just curious, with you having such a new unit what caused the caulking to need repair so soon? I check the roof weekly because I know they can develop shrinkage rather quickly but I'm hoping to not have to do any roof re-seal anytime soon.

olcoon

No problems with the roof, I've been checking the caulking, and in some places there has been shrinkage, or whatever, but some places have gaps in the caulking. I just don't want to have water coming in. I don't know what's caused it, heat, movement, or whatever. It appears to be natural. Guess I'm just being cautious, over cautious, anal, or whatever. I'm just going all over it looking for anything I can find & fix before we hit the road for the summer.

tmcran

Not to hi jack but have caulking are adhesive question. Noticed on trip this weekend the vinyl strip that fits inside the metal trim that goes along the side edge of the bottom of the front of RV. looks as if it is held in place at various points with a buytal like adhesive. got it back in channel but wind will blow it out again. Ideas?

Last edited:

ParkIt

No problems with the roof, I've been checking the caulking, and in some places there has been shrinkage, or whatever, but some places have gaps in the caulking. I just don't want to have water coming in. I don't know what's caused it, heat, movement, or whatever. It appears to be natural. Guess I'm just being cautious, over cautious, anal, or whatever. I'm just going all over it looking for anything I can find & fix before we hit the road for the summer.

That just doesn't sound right, from factory its usually 3-4 years element exposed at least before you would see any gaps from shrinkage and even then they would be pretty small say where a bubble underneath finally surfaced. You might want to contact HL and ask before doing any work on it yourself, it might be something they can help you out with.

brianharrison

The last word I got from Heartland Customer Service was they use a product claaed Sikaflex and I believe the product was 505UV. I have found another Sika product (#227) in gray. This is recommended for RV use as well. Dicor seems to be the standard and most frequently used...if you use it be sure to purchase "non-sag" for vertical applications.

The Sikaflex product used by Heartland is the Sikaflex 521UV - UV rated. Reference post in the ATF --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11156-caulking

Take care,
Brian