ATF: Bighorn - Unfinished Cabinets?

funntheson

We picked up our Bighorn from our dealer on 12/31/10. Although we have had it in for a fair amount of warranty work, we have still been enjoying the use of our first luxury trailer.

My question at this time is in regards to the cabinetry. We have the Pecan wood cabinetry. We have noticed that, even with the Pecan throughout, we have a couple of different shades of wood. Is this normal, or should it be the same throughout the trailer?

Also, there are several rough places on the cabinets, refrigerator panels, louvered doors, etc. I would think that all of the finished work should be smooth, yet when you rub your finger across several different areas it is so rough that it hurts your finger. Is this normal? Shouldn't finished woodwork be smooth to the touch?

Please advise me on these cabinet issues as soon as possible.

Larry M Scrivens

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry, the answer would be yes. They should all have a smooth finish. I would contact HL service by phone and not wait for an answer here. As far as the color..not all "real" wood has the same color even when stained. A man made wood product would. The roughness can be fixed fairly easy. Some 0000 steelwool and some wood polish should make it good as new. Best I can tell you at this time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, regarding the differences in the "feel" between the different woods. The reefer doors and louvered doors are not from the same manufacturers as the cabinet doors. Probably are finished with a different process and even a different type of wood.
Great reply from Bob & Patty, most woods can be touched up with fine steel wool and a new clear coat applied. I'm lucky in that my son is a professional cabinet maker. Anything I need, he can handle.