Shur-Flo 5.7 pump

BluegrassMan

Well, It finally happened, the 5ver was empty except for the antifreeze. We are getting ready to take the trailer out next week, my DW put chemicals in the commode, then ask me to get her a bucket of water as not to stain anything. She MUST have turned the pump on without thinking. A few days later I go in the garage, and I hear something running. First I thought my fridge in the garage was noisey. I got close to the trailer, it was the pump running "DRY". I unplugged, turned the battery off, I then put in water in the tank, the pump wouldn't come back on. Those pumps are $224+tx at the dealer. :mad: She said just get it WE need it AND don't fool around with EBAY. So I bought it, then I looked on Ebay. I felt like an IDIOT!!! $154+$12 shipping, DUH!!!!!!:cool: Lesson learned, I just thought I'd pass these prices on to ya'll. What a pain in the A** to get to the pump, Small hole, BIG GUY...Houston we have a problem!!!:eek:

BluegrassMan

Well, NOW the rest of the story! I sound like Paul Harvey.... The new pump is installed, water in tank, turn on switch, NOTHING !!!!! It seems there is (according to Shur-Flo) a switching box "somewhere" in the trailer tying all 3 switches together and allowing each to operate the pump. I haven't crawled back in the trailer to search for it, TOMORROW I will. I did a search on this site for an electrical schematic...Nada,Zip, only a post asking for one....NO answers though. Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

tdharley

My BH only has one switch that control my water pump , 2 wire to the pump. If you do have 3 switches to run your water pump and any one of them can turn the pump on or off, that is a 4 way wiring situation.

If thats true it is not necessarily true that there is one common box were they are all wired to. A typical 3 way, like you find in your home is wired with 3 wire cable to the load. The line goes to one switch then the other (in no particular order) then to the load. They all have one wire in common called a traveler. Or it could be a series wiring system that would allow any switch to turn it on, that could go back to one common box.

I would troubleshoot the feed and ground (fuses, ground straps and loose conections) first since that is the most likely thing to go wrong. Are you sure the first pump was shot?? Rig a cigarette lighter plug to the old pump and see if it works.

Just for my own information why does your rig have 3 switches & who's Paul Harvey?

tdharley

I just read your post under elec problem.

I guess 3 switches are a good idea, they are wired in a 4 way cionfig from your desc.

BluegrassMan

TD:

I sifted through all the papers that came with my GC, The paperwork from Shur-Flo showed a rather simple diagram of the box. It showed the power in and the feeds out, it's not really like a 3way light setup, check out your paperwork and see if it's in there. If I can't find it "temporarily" I'll run power and ground to the pump with a on off switch for the weekend.

5erWonk

I'm not savy on the wiring on the Shureflo, but I do use those on commercial application equipment and my experience is you can run those dry all day long and not cook the diaphram.

The pump does have a built in pressure switch that shuts it off around 40psi, maybe that is malfunctioning. The switch is usually inside the square housing on the top end of the pump.

Good luck!!

morganm12

George
Well, my GC has four pump switches. I just had my pump replaced because it wouldn't stop automatically once the water was turned off. There is a switch in the broom closet with a light that comes on when there is power to the pump. If that light comes on then with the power on I would check for power at the pump. If no power then check the DC fuse. My bet is the DC fuse. These pumps are DC powered. Thats my 2 cents.

BluegrassMan

Hi George:

I checked the DC fuses, #12 is pump on my GC, it's a 15 amp. My main switch is in the broom closet. NO red light coming on. The Shur-Flo paperwork said to check the inverter for a fuse. I'll do that tomorrow. I did install a NEW pump thinking the old one was dead. DUH! I'll be to check the old one to see if it runs, it WAS running when I killed the power (120AC and the battery cut off) it had evidently been running for a couple days with NO water in the tank. I WILL get to the bottom of this....it's driving me nuts!

BluegrassMan

I thought the same thing too, maybe not, I was dumb listening to the wife, she said din't fool around with ebay just GO and get the pump. RV dealer $224, Ebay $154+12 shipping. DUH, won't do that again.

tdharley

Cant help you then the BH comes with only 1 pump switch.

You could say that we are from "the other side of town" with only one switch.-LOL

But then again I believe in KISS- Keep it simple stupid.

Thanks for the Paul Harvey link

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
Well part of the mystery is solved, the switch box(Intellitec)is on the panel in the battery area. The elusive 3 way box is a Bosch RELAY that is found behind the 12v fuse panel. Look in your Shur-Flo paperwork, you'll see the diagram.
I went to the autoparts and bought another relay only it wasn't a Bosch, all the #s were the same. I took it home wired it up, powered up, NOTHING. I went on the Intellitec website, looked at a PDF file on the switch box, it says that once the box circuit is interupted, it must be jumped "ON", which went over my head. They are also talking about this being GROUND based switching not power. I hope I live long enough to see this repair finished.
Just for next week, I'm "Jerry" rigging direct to the pump with an inline toggle as a master, the pump can cycle normally as it would. THEN after that I'll worry about the correct FIX.

BluegrassMan

Intellitec PDF file on Landmark pump switching

I hope this works, here is a PDF on the switching box that has been talked about in these posts. It may help someone else if you have trouble. It shows it is attached, I guess we'll see when this posts.

Attachments

• 5300145.000 Intellitec PDF.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 39

BluegrassMan

WELL, I got my pump problem solved TEMPORARILY !!! Yesterday I disconnected the automatic switching box etc. I then ran 14ga. red and black directly to the pump, put and inline 20a toggle switch, hooked direct to the battery. "It's ALIVE" ! my pump runs like normal, I just have to turn it on and off @ the battery compartment. I'll get my technician at a later date. I still havent heard from Intellitec about my problem, still waiting.

tdharley

Thats an interesting pump switch.

I think the one switch system is just a good. It is a good reason for me to talk to the wife......HEY JOYCE TURN THE PUMP SWITCH ON. It also makes her fell important. LOL

Just kiddin .... shes great