Spoiled Cyclone...

dougw

You bet!<G>

So I spoiled our trailer last week. I added a new 5th airborne pin box as well as a set of dexter e-z flex. We took a trip to Yosemite last weekend and boy what a difference these items made. The ride was way better than before. Even the wife noticed the first mile out. I really like how the shackles on the e-z flex are much thicker than stock. Now all I need to do is to re attach the pin box cover.

Airborne1.JPGAirborne2.JPGE-z%20Flex1.JPGE-z%20Flex2.JPG

ultrafarmer

I just put on a 5th airborne pin box too. Took it for a run to get new Maxxis tires and what a diff. It took the bad roads around here just fine. Alaska here we come.

CrazyCooter

The EZ flex made such a difference on our TT, I recommend the kit to all of my customers. Especially the off road guys. Glad to see it standard on the Cyclones. One less thing I'll have to do if we get to ever bring one home.

I was looking at the 5th Airborne, but I guess they don't work with the B&W Companion hitch? Instead, I was thinking of the Mor-Ryde as an economical second choice.

What kind of ride should I expect from an out of the box Cyclone? We drive all the back desert highways and they are pretty rough....

porthole

Retired
What kind of ride should I expect from an out of the box Cyclone? We drive all the back desert highways and they are pretty rough....

I would think you could expect to abuse whatever brand/type of trailer you get pulling it though those roads.

You might want to consider replacing the suspension, something along the lines of the Mor/Ryde independent suspension or a full air ride replacement.

dougw

Being that we live in the "pot hole" capital of the world here in ca, Im not sure anything will help. <g>. I've only taken one trip so far, the biggest thing I've noticed is the ride is a lot quieter. As for the trailer, I've noticed the dishes didn't move as much. When the wife was driving, I was wathing the hitch and it seemed like what I was seeing was a fore / aft movement more than anything else. With that being said the way the mor-ride is discribed to work, I couldn't see why it wouldn't help, but then again any thing should be an improvement.

As for the stock ride, this is my1st 5th wheel, so I have nothing to compair it to. However for trips to the desert, both north and south, it was still better than my old 26' pull toybox.

Doug

CrazyCooter

Encouraging!:cool:

I have very limited experience towing 5ers. I have towed hundreds on short trips as I work on the under chassis all the time. Obviously, they require a road test before and after. So I get to try out lots of trucks and trailers 6 miles at a time on the same road.:rolleyes:

From that I have learned the chucking on the roads I would travel on, could be brutal on the equipment and occupants. The EZ Flex work well on the TT and was thinking of an air receiver hitch, but it looks like we will be jumping ship in favor of the Cyclone 5er.

dbhutchins

I'm an Engineer, and the vertical damping offered by the various air-shock pinbox mods makes no sense to me. I looked into the design of the Demco Glide-ride and was impressed. The damping is all in the fore-and-aft direction, and the damping force is supplied by the pin-weight of the unit (pretty high) and needs no supplemental force generator. So I put one on a couple of years ago, and was astonished by the improvement.

Give one of these a try, if you have bad chucking problems and a limited budget. Great bank-for-the-buck and a simple, fool-proof design!

GOTTOYS

The EZ flex made such a difference on our TT, I recommend the kit to all of my customers. Especially the off road guys. Glad to see it standard on the Cyclones. One less thing I'll have to do if we get to ever bring one home.

I was looking at the 5th Airborne, but I guess they don't work with the B&W Companion hitch? Instead, I was thinking of the Mor-Ryde as an economical second choice.

I don't know why any style pinbox won't work with a Companion hitch. There is nothing different in how a Companion functions as a hitch than with any other non- dampened and non-sliding type hitch. A Mor-Ryde is designed to dampen fore and aft movement called chucking. A 5th Airborne or Trail-Aire will dampen up and down movement. If you want to combine both, one way to do that is with a Trail-Aire Tri Glide which does both. Any of these should work just fine with your hitch...Don

scottyb

I don't know why any style pinbox won't work with a Companion hitch. There is nothing different in how a Companion functions as a hitch than with any other non- dampened and non-sliding type hitch. A Mor-Ryde is designed to dampen fore and aft movement called chucking. A 5th Airborne or Trail-Aire will dampen up and down movement. If you want to combine both, one way to do that is with a Trail-Aire Tri Glide which does both. Any of these should work just fine with your hitch...Don

You're correct. The 5th Airborne works very well with the B&W Companion.

dougw

After watching my 5th airborne hitch work while the wive was driving, the hitch dose more than just up/down dampening. As the trailer would push forward, the hitch would rotate. When that happens the 5ab would compress. When it rebounded it would do the opposite. So it works in combination with the hitch and pivot off the large front bolt. Maybe there is better or worse, but at least in my experience, it does work to cut down on bucking as well as up/down movement.

take another look at the 1st pic I posted and picture the hitch rotating.

doug