Outside Stereo Install ideas?

Jimmy

I want to install an outside stereo, such as a 12 volt marine stereo, I am thinking about mounting it inside the Battery/Hydraulic compartment behind the slam door. Any suggestions or hints, I welcome them, if you have already done such a mod please post info. and or photos. Thanks!

brianharrison

Hi Jimmy,

I can not post pics as I have not done my mod yet, but I am in the planning stages of the same idea. I am not too fussy about cutting into my trailer to install the outside speakers so I was contemplating two enclosed BOSE bookshelf speakers, mounted on swivels just behind the slam door. The car audio deck and amps would be mounted near the battery box (I have a compartment above the battery box on the door side of my Landmark).

I have been using a Bose sound dock (portable) up to this point, but it needs recharging from 110V - I mostly do dry camping so I think the outside stereo (12V) will suit me better.

I'll keep an eye on the other repsonses to your thread as I'm sure others have additional good ideas.

Take care,
Brian

porthole

Retired
Cyclones already come with outdoor speakers.
I found a waterproof remote on eBay for the factory radio.

But if you are starting from scratch Sony makes a few different marine rated radios and the newest versions give up the CD for an internal iPod dock (which works very good).
Many of the Sony radios will operate with a remote head.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=83078&viewfull=1#post83078

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In 1995 we had a new class C motor home and it had an exterior radio mounted in an almost weather proof plastic cabinet. It included a couple 4" speakers, a 12 volt receptacle, plug ins for additional speakers and an aux input.
I've been trying to find one of these set ups for quite a while but haven't had much luck. actually gave up a while back. I'm betting sombody out there has seen what I'm referring to. It was a pretty convenient set up. Now I have a small i-pod speaker set and I use my Droid for tunes. It's a battery killer though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ray, try looking at a boat shop as many boats have 12 volt weather proof radios....

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, try looking at a boat shop as many boats have 12 volt weather proof radios....
Thanks Jim, finding the radio isn't the problem, it's that special housing that holds all of the goodies. It's about a 8" X 12" box with a weatherproof hinged cover. In fact with this box, you really don't need the weatherproof radio or speakers. Now that my interest is peaked again, I may start searching some more.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The boat we used to have had a radio with a hinged cover and the speakers were special weather/waterproof speakers.

Ray LeTourneau

I've seen the type your referring to.. They have like an opaque tinted cover hinges at the top? The one I'm looking for actually looks similar to an RV storage compartment. Actually a lot like an exterior shower but with electronics inside instead of a hose and fixture. Here's a picture I just found

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Ok I understand now. Maybe RV Surplus in Elkhart will help
That's what I was thinking. I know there are 2 places close by each other. In fact, we were in the same one together a couple years ago when I sold you something. I can't remember what it was though. I'll be sure to check them out though.

Ray LeTourneau

It was some hinges for our counter extension. Still works good too
I kind of thought that was those hinges. The set that I put on way back when are still intact as well. I should carry a couple sets in the truck for future sales.:rolleyes::D

caissiel

My sister has a 98 motorhome that has a compartment door on the side of the unit and a car radio and a set of speakers with similar arangement as the ASA unit. My improvement would be to get a good quality marine radio and speakers to suit.
I am thinking seriously to replace the 5.25 cheap speakers I have on the side of my unit that only last a few months, and install a similar unit on my trailer. Just need a 12V DC power connection and a seperate arial. Ya you will need to install a seperat FM arial to the radio.

wehavefun

I just wanted outside speakers for my Big Horn, so I went to Best Buy ( Future Shop in Canada ) and bought a ROCKET FISH wireless outside speaker set.

www.rocketfishproducts.com Model number RF RBWS02 It is one large, inside or outside, weather proof speaker.

The speaker can recharge batteries ( not supplied ) so it can be wireless, works in a pretty good radius around your campsite, it has GREAT bass and overall I love it!

WEHAVEFUN