Height concerns on added A/C

Splash

A question for those of you who have the extra A/C in front. Do you have the low profile or the regular profile up front? I am planning adding the the additional A/C up front and was curious to know if I had to go with the low profile version. I have a 2011 Sundance 3300CK and spec'd height is 12' 4". The low profile height is 9 1/2" versus the standard height of about 13 1/2". The lowest clearance I've noticed since traveling has been 13' 6", so the standard would be cutting it close.

tgreening

It wouldn't be cutting it close. The 13' 6" clearance you are seeing is the height of trailer that can safely clear. If your camper ended up at 13' 7" you won't rip the roof off. That said I wouldn't try squeezing 14' under a 13' 6" rated overpass. You may or may not make it. And of course always keep an eye out for those places marked at less than the 13' 6". I've seen more than one big truck wedged."

hoefler

13'6" is the maximum height any one can travel down the US highways without a special permit and routing. I stand at 13'3" at the top of my satellite dome, the A/C is about 6-8" lower. We have the Dometic Penguin low profile unit. Never had any concern on the interstate and highways. If you get off the beaten path or some small burb, you may need to be concerned and watch your heights.

danemayer

Instead of guessing, you should probably take the rig out onto a level lot and measure from street to top of roof where the A/C will be mounted. Then you'll know for sure.

Also, there are low clearances of less than 13'6" once you get off the interstates. If you want to check in advance, there are low clearance POI databases for GPS units, and the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas lists the low clearances by state, by route #.

I wouldn't try to squeeze under anything. Some people have noted that repaving can reduce clearances by an inch or two. If your A/C unit hits an overhead structure, just imagine the damage as it's dragged across the roof.

rebootsemi

Trailer height max 13' 6" load can be 14' measured from the ground. Out here in the west most all bridges and railroad bridges are at least 15'. On the right coast with some of the old stuff you will find all kinds of height clearances. Been down that road back in the trucking days. Measure out your unit to know exactly what your height is and in the real world I would allow a margin for error traveling down the hwy and byways. I used to cringe everytime I passed under the Grand Ave bridge on I-17 RxR bridge in Phoenix, Az, don't know if they ever fixed that little deal...

davidg

Go with the low profile, I have one in the front of my BH it works just fine cools just as good as the high profile in the living area. Never had any problems going under anything and traveled all across the USA & Canada last year right at 11,000 miles.
David

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the low-profile AC also. We stand at 13'2" with the roof satellite dish.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd get the low profile. We've had our front AC shroud damaged by low-hanging branches driving through town! We've also seen lots of Service Station awnings anywhere from 12' - 13', which we avoid like the plague... we go where the big-rigs fill up to be safe.

E