slideout movement

duke

Hello, I was looking at a 2800rls this past week and I saw something that made me a little nervous. The main room slide appeared crooked. It was farther away from the wall at the top than the bottom. The dealer said that they were all a little different. I agree to that but the frame actually looked crooked when looking from the rear of the trailer towards the TV area. Then when the dealer went out of the trailer as he stepped on the steps exiting the trailer the entire slide actually moved at the top. It looked like it moved quite a bit. I would say the top moved about an inch,maybe a little more. As he stepped on each step the trailer would rock and the slide would wobble. I have been in other trailers with slide outs and have not see movement at the top of the slide. You could stand in the trailer and move from left to right ,facing the front and see the room move. The dealer didn't seem to be concerned. I would be embarrased to have my friends over and have this happen. We did go to another brand and rocked the trailer from side to side and in one brand saw no movement at all. the other brand might have moved very slightly. Both of these were ok to me. The question is : is this typical for the Sundance, when the slide is out should the moulding overall appear to be vertical? Should the slide be stable? It's difficult to describe the amount of movement to someone via the internet,or a conversation. Believe me there was alot of movement at the top of this slide. Like I said we did not see this in any if the two other brands. What are your thoughts?? Thanks .

Scott

First of all, I want you to know that the movement you are describing should be easily addressed through a slide-out room adjustment. You many not have known, but RV slide-outs are basically boxes that are attached at the bottom, below floor level - and no where else. The box literally slides in and out of an opening in the sidewall, and rides on the floor of the coach. That is why you will see a lot of rooms tilt a bit, the severity of which is determined by whether it is a "flush-floor" slide or a non-flush-floor design. The flush-floor slideouts actually "drop" a couple of inches as they go out which can make for an interesting effect at the top of the room as it goes to it's "out" position.
Either way, once they are out, they are supposed to be fairly snug (not necessarily tight) with the rubber wiper seals an bulb seals touching all around the room.
Could there be "some" movement in the top of the room? It's possible, again, because it is basically a "box" sitting on a floor - that is not attached at the top. Have I seen significant movement at the top of a slide out room when people are in it or walking on it? No.
So - I am confident that if there is abnormal movement in your room - it can be easily adjusted to eliminate it.
ST

duke

Thanks Scott, It sounds like this unit is out of adjustment. I did see quite alot of movement when the dealer went out of the trailer, as he stepped onto each step the slideout actually rocked at the top. This is what prompted our concern. And again, after searching other manufactures we did not see tha same movement. Again, thank you. The forum is really setup very nice.