How much cable

Rodbuster

Good morning,
It's the "new guy" again...the one that just picked up his first RV (2012 Key Largo) last week.
I've received some really great advice and also some real good answers to the many questions that I have posted. I want to thank you all, very much. I think now, would be a good time to tell you that there will probably be quite a few more questions. I searched on the forum for many of my questions and that has helped alot, but there are some things that I can't seem to find.
Such as, getting reception (or signal) for my living room and bedroom tv's.
I'd like to know if it is just as simple as connecting a lenght of cable to a cable hook-up at the campsite and connecting the other end to the cable hook-up on my RV ? The hook-ups that I have found on the RV are, 1 in the compartment where the outside shower and water fill-up are located and the other is in the storage area (basement).
Can I plug into either one and get reception or is there a designated place to plug into to get reception for "both" of my tv's?

Thanks again,
Rodbuster

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rodbuster, while I don't have a KL, I suspect the one in the basement is for a basement TV and the one in the UDC is where you would hook up the cable. Most likely the same is my BH. Just be sure to turn off the antenna booster, located in the BR, when using this configuration.

Peace
Dave

Rodbuster

Thank you Dave (cookie). I never would have thought to turn off the booster.
About how many feet of cable do you suggest that I carry with me?

You have come back and helped me with other questions that I have had... again, I thank you very much.

Rodbuster

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I carry 50' of RG6. It will work with digital and analog. I have a carry out dish as well that it must have. The 50' was only a few bucks more at radioshack and it gives me plent of wiggle room. I also have a small reel that you use for extention cords that I roll it up on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You didn't say if you have a satelite dish on your coach. Winegard makes a portable dish that works well with Directv or Dish. Have one on ours and it is mounted on the ladder. We pull into a site...turn on the switch and ..volia...we have satelite TV. If you are interested, I can send you the links for the best prices.

jpdoggett

I have a 10', and a 25' and also a 50' cable that I carry in my Augusta never know what you will need and I don't like a lot cable laying on the ground, we had a dish for a while but it was more work than it was worth

Rodbuster

Bob & Patty,
Thank you for your response. No, I do not have a satelite of any kind. That would be something that I would want to investigate in the future.
As I mentioned, I just picked up this unit about a week ago... that along with it being the first RV that I ever own, leaves me with a tremendous lack of knowledge about so many things that I should have and things that I should do.
I thank you and all the others that have taken the time to try and help me with this post and other post that I have made before.
"Any" advice, tips and/or suggestions are and will be very much appreciated.

Rodbuster

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim and Rod, the winegard is a dome/dish that automaticly finds the satelite. Jim, I had the tripod set up and threw it away. It wasn't worth the effort. I did however make a mount for this new dome from the mounting plate and shaft. That way if we get into trees I can move the dome and it is still screwed to the BH. Check out these links....best prices I could find.

http://www.dyersonline.com/winegard-carryout-ladder-handrail-mount.html

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=06&p=OBO-GM-1518&d=OPEN-BOX-ITEM--Winegard-GM1518-Carryout-Automatic-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Antenna-(GM1518)&c=RV%20Satellite%20Dishes&sku=

cableman

You would be better off using the shortest piece of cable possible. The longer the cable is , the more signal is lost and that effects the picture quality.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jim and Rod, the winegard is a dome/dish that automaticly finds the satelite. Jim, I had the tripod set up and threw it away. It wasn't worth the effort. I did however make a mount for this new dome from the mounting plate and shaft. That way if we get into trees I can move the dome and it is still screwed to the BH. Check out these links....best prices I could find.

http://www.dyersonline.com/winegard-carryout-ladder-handrail-mount.html

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=06&p=OBO-GM-1518&d=OPEN-BOX-ITEM--Winegard-GM1518-Carryout-Automatic-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Antenna-(GM1518)&c=RV%20Satellite%20Dishes&sku=

I've been thinking of going that route, too. Those are some good prices.

mmomega

AnyTimer
That is definitely different than ours. I have 4 separate connections in the UDC (2 marked living room, 2 bedroom) and 1 in the basement if you decide to place a tv and watch it outside.

For me, the 1st connection for each set is the one to use. Ex. the connections are like this. A label then two covered connectors side by side. So the left connector for my bedroom works, and left for living works. Not 100% on what the extra connections for each location are for. Bedroom [ o ] [ o ] Living [ o ] [ o ]

I have tried and I get satellite and/or regular cable signal through these. I use a single 50' and I receive DirecTV HD signals just fine with no degradation to the signal. (You gotta think, years ago and still today cable companies run just a coax cable MILES from their hub and signals are fine.

Also just throwing this out. With our first fifth wheel we purchased the roof mount satellite. Worked great most of the time, auto located satellites, you just turn it on and watch tv. If you happened to get under some trees then we were SOL, which started happening more and more often.
Now we have a portable dish. You can mount it to the ladder or keep it fully portable. It's also auto-searches but trees don't hold me back any longer.