Confused and need advice on RV Internet equipment

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, so we spend most of the summer at our seasonal site with free WiFi. It was pretty good until our most recent trip when connectivity went from excellent to good luck. Might have been storms to the south of us, or a 5'er with teenagers and a load of electronics, but I think it's time to get my own WiFi ability. I don't want to spend thousands on the latest satelite linkups, but would like some insight on what would fill the bill. Something with a monthly subscription, turn on/off when I need it, not a one or two year deal, since I've got cable internet at home and like it. And what equipment to get. Some things I've looked at online, like the Cradlepoint, require an external USB modem, like a Verizon, which brings us back to a prolonged contract and restricted volume. Any insights out there?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
John
Trust me..... Go to the 3GStore. Give them a call, tell them what your wanting and let them get you set up.

DON'T go through the Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T stores. Most of them are good at selling you a phone but some are limited to the ability to get you what you want in your RV. They don't RV. The 3GStore seens to work well with RVers.. They helped me a lot.

I would be cautious about 4G. It will be great soon but I don't think they cover enough territory yet. If your modem will work on 3G then i 4G is available it would be nice to have. Be cautious when they tell you the modem works great on both 3G & 4G.

BC

robnmo

Well I can only speak for what we do and use after asking, researching, etc. We ended up getting the MiFi from Verizon, but it does come with a contract, which we just added onto our already existing cell phone plan. Hooked to the computer it's simply an aircard, not hooked it's a WiFi hotspot. The kids gave us their used Ipod which makes it nice when on the road, I just turn on the MiFi and use the Ipod, at the campground I use the laptop and our friend uses his at the same time and works great for us it's also our internet when home. Like Txbobcat said, watch out for the 4G sales pitch, we had several tell us, 4G is great, IF your someplace where it'll work. For us our MiFi is great. Good luck

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You might want to look at Virgin Mobile. They have a month to month plan. I have one and it works as well as my Sprint plan did. No contract with Virgin Mobile. I also was able to use the Virgin Mobile USB modem in my Cradlepoint router. BTW, I will be selling my Cradlepoint router at the rally in Goshen if you are interested.

Mark

JohnDar

John,

Verizon offers several prepaid broadband plans with no contract involved.

Go to http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans and scroll down the page to the Prepaid Mobile Broadband plans - pay a month at a time with no start or stop fees.

You can buy a USB modem on eBay cheap.

We use a Cradlepoint MBR1200 with several different modems.

Mike

Thanks for that. I didn't look at that page when I was searching Verizon (I have their cell phone service). Found a Novatel modem on ebay for under $10, so I put a bid on it.

JohnDar

Hmm. I lost the bid on ebay. So I sent an e-mail to Matt at 3GStore for info. Trying to keep it simple and economical. After this, satelite TV will be the next thing to explore...but not today.

Got your info, Mark. It's a maybe right now.

cableman

We just went with the mifi. We looked virgin no coverage in our area. Verizon has a month, but you pay for the modem or the mifi $200 something. If you sign up for the 2 year you get it free. Then you can shut it off in the winter. they told us you can shut it off and turn it on for free, but not the case,"they lied, who'd a thought". $15.00 to shut down and start up. We have not come close to using the gig's up. the coverage is great and a cinch to set up.

3Gstore

Hmm. I lost the bid on ebay. So I sent an e-mail to Matt at 3GStore for info. Trying to keep it simple and economical. After this, satelite TV will be the next thing to explore...but not today.

Got your info, Mark. It's a maybe right now.

John,

I sent you an email with some basic places to start in your search for connectivity on the go. If you want feel free to give me a call or reply back, I'll be in till 7pm CST today, but will be in a meeting from 3-4 CST so anytime after that would be good. It will be a lot easier to explain the pro's and con's of each method IE - MiFi vs Wireless Modem

SmokeyBare

We have Verizon for cell phones as well. I decided to go with a company called Millenicom. They provide Internet just like Verizon or Sprint or AT&T. They had better plans in my view with a greater download limits. http://www.millenicom.com/page/plans

Since Karen and I both use the internet and do it often at the same time I also purchased from 3-G Store a WiFi Ranger Modem. https://3gstore.com/

The WiFi Ranger Modem makes it possible for us both to be connected because it has a USB port that the Wireless Device (Air-Card) plugs into, making it a WiFi Hot Spot. Another feature of the WiFi Ranger Modem is it also pulls in the signal of other WiFi sources in the area. There is even a new "Boost" kind of antenna that can be purchased but I have not done so.

The Plan I opted for with Millenicom was the "Advanced Plan" which runs $59.99 a month. It uses a Novatel U760 Device and the plan allows 20 Gigabyte Data per month which is far more than Verizon offers. Last, they require no monthly service contract or taxes. The price is what we are billed per month Be aware there is a $49.99 set up fee as well as a $15.00 Shipping fee to get started. When we ordered this, they offered the device Free. It looks like they charge $99.99 for the device. I would call and see if this is the case... or if they have a free device special going on.

We went from Hughenet Internet Dish before Which cost $63.00 monthly and far less download limits. The HugheNet dish is often difficult to set up for some folks.
This is Air-Card is a plug and play device, with or with out the WiFi Ranger Modem.

SmokeyBare

In our case, using the plan I selected, they use Verizon.

Which I am using now. Mind you, this is not what is now being called 4-G... by Verizon... This is only the 3-G type connection. Which for us was an improvement over HugheNet Dish. I still have the HugheNet dish equipment... I put it on "Vacation" while I tested this out. We have been in Georgia since I bought the Millenicom Internet service... and it's worked very well for us.

Marv

JohnDar

First off, thanks to all for the info. Second, I spoke with Matt at 3G and we've gone with the Verizon Mifi 3G/4G LTE 4510. Looking at it, and talking with Matt, we'll be taking the 5GB 2 year contract after all. Thinking about it, if I find the MiFi works better at home than the Comcast Internet, I might just cancel the Comcast. But, if all else fails, we can shut off the MiFi service for up to 3 months at a time with no penalty, while we have it. Getting it all through Matt and 3G, I don't have to deal with Punjab if I need service.

jgallego

I have the verizon mifi 4g and it works great. I checked the speed in the Houston area and it was like 10 m down and about 4 m up. I travel with it and where 4g is not available it switches to 3g. I have also had good speeds with the 3g.

Jaime

Moose

I went with the Novatel Ovation U547 3G-4G usb modem and the Cradlepoint MBR1000 wireless router.

So far so good.

While in Canada I will use Bell Mobility (OUCH!!!) and when I cross the border I will look at Verizon and buy a sim to pop in the modem and a monthly plan.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I went with the Novatel Ovation U547 3G-4G usb modem and the Cradlepoint MBR1000 wireless router.
While in Canada I will use Bell Mobility (OUCH!!!) and when I cross the border I will look at Verizon and buy a sim to pop in the modem and a monthly plan.

Hay Moose
I need to learn something from you... I did not know that a USB modem had a sim inside and that you could replace it. How do you get it out and is it the same as the ones in the phones?

When I go to Alaska (some day) I would like to get temperary service for my modem and cell phone. Any Ideas??

BC

mmomega

AnyTimer
I didn't think Verizon used Sim cards. I know my 6 of my family with Droids and Verizon iPhones don't have SIMs but all of our ATT phones do.