App to Access HOC from your Iphone, Droid or Palm Phone

floridarandy

If you're like me you check HOG forum every day....or more! I just ran across an App for Iphone, Droid and Palm called Tapatalk that when enabled on the forum allows you to read and post from your phone. I forwarded the info to HOG forum admin and Jim. No cost to the forum and apparently an EZ add!

I'm using it on other forums I follow and it works great.

Let's see what happens.

Randy in Florida

http://www.tapatalk.com/

danemayer

I'll second the request. There have been more than a few times where I couldn't get the computer connected, but the iPhone had a data connection. Unfortunately, this forum is pretty difficult to navigate in the iPhone browser.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use my iPhone probably 75% of the time I'm on. So I would like to see it also.

linuxkidd

We're actually working on something a little more customized than Tapatalk. Keep an eye on this thread and we'll post more details as we're closer to launch.

danemayer

We're actually working on something a little more customized than Tapatalk. Keep an eye on this thread and we'll post more details as we're closer to launch.

If the timeframe is short - a couple of weeks - ok, I can wait. But if enabling Tapatalk support takes 20 minutes (I don't know how long it takes but they make it sound trivial), and it's longer than a couple of weeks to get the better solution, maybe do both. A lot of us will be on the road in a couple of days and any improvements in the short run would be useful.

ParkIt

Sounds good to me, so far my Droid hasn't let me down using brown wire but if there is something geek new, I'll check it out :)

floridarandy

kid...thanks. i'd still vote for tapatalk as it allows me to access HOC and other forums from one site. maybe what you have will work in addition. THANKS for all you guys do.

Randy

porthole

Retired

Mike,

Something I have found with other mobile versions of websites is that when responding to a whats new link in an email, the app takes you to the beginning of the thread.

As for tapatalk, tried the free version and didn't like it enough to try the pay version.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have Tapatalk but I cannot find this forum on it. Anyone have any advise?

danemayer

At the rally, there was talk of an iPhone app in the immediate future and maybe also enabling the forum for Tapatalk users. Any progress on either one?

jbeletti

Dan,

No further work on either since then. High traveling season for me. Sorry. It will arrive at some point :)

Jim

danemayer

Thanks Rick and Debbie. An icon on the homescreen still leaves you inside the Safari browser, navigating a large page on a small screen, where you have to press small targets. It's difficult and tiresome. Even when we have internet connections to the laptop, I've sometimes had to use the iPhone because the park's network wouldn't make a connection to the forum's server. I had intermittent connections to the server for a month last winter. This summer, I've had a number of locations where the advertised WiFi was out of service or so bad as to be unusable. My fallback is the iPhone which has worked almost everywhere we've been.

A native iPhone app sounds best, but as I've noted previously, enabling Tapatalk sounds like it takes only a few minutes and would provide a solution in the short run. Hopefully Jim or Michael can find time for one or the other soon.

porthole

Retired
So now that i have a 4s I revisited tapatalk and now like/use it for my motorcycle forum. Works good for that.
HL status update? HL specific forum mentioned months ago that was just right around the corner?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I read some where from one of the Heartland guys that development and pushing out to apple/android etc cost $$$$ that Heartland will not release or budget to the owners club.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
go to

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27916-We-Need-a-New-App

jpelleti one of the Heartland guys is down the message board about a week ago. He addressed the issue.

jbeletti

Two things going on, on this end:

1) Working, though not at this time, on a vBulletin app to read the forum

2) Considering a MyHeartland smartphone app for a lot of things*

* Update is that we may end up going with a mobile browser optimized website for 2) above. Gives us a lot more flexibility. Can't reveal much now and don't know much yet.

Jim

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
At the firehouse, if we don't have some good scoop by 10AM, we start rumors :p

LOL that just reminded me of what this CID Warrant Officer told me during an investigation, he said "an undiscovered lie..is the truth".