Dual Pane Windows?

CrazyCooter

I had a wonderful conversation with a factory rep this morning about the Cyclone and Road Warrior lines as we are looking to purchase. One of the questions I asked about were the dual pane windows. I guess most don't order them and he didn't feel they were worth the expense and weight.

Which way did you go and what do you recommend?

We camp year round and want the most efficiency hot and cold.......

Tony

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My guess is you'll get more votes for Dual Panes than against. We have them and are very pleased with them. I think they help with both heat and cooling and noise reduction. Better privacy tinting as well. You're spending some hard earned cash, you might as well load er up!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's been my observation over the years that most of the people that say they are not worth it are people that have never used an RV.
I had them in my last coach and have them in my current coach and will have them in the next one.

Peace
Dave

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We bought ours new but a 2010 close-out. Didn't even get to discuss it as an option:mad: Would have gotem for sure.

jimtoo

Had first Bighorn without.... second Bighorn with the dual panes.... never would have another without... they are worth the extra dollars.

Jim M

CrazyCooter

Thanks guys!

In the whole cost of things, the option is not that much more for the efficiency and comfort gained during the time we will have this RV.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would be curious to who the factory rep was. When we talked to some they recommended them.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
If you have the opportunity to get dual pane windows, DO IT. The insulating capabilities may be marginal (although there still is some insulating benefit), but they really do reduce outside noise. I have also found great benefit in eliminating condensation on the inside glass when running AC on those hot humid days. Who was that factory rep?

caissiel

I spend the last winter in florida and I was the only one not complaining about the humidity in the trailer. My unit was perfectly dry all the time so dry that we had to put water by the registers during some nights so the air would not be so dry. With the lastest winters in Florida I am very satisfied to have the Thermos.
I see so many trailers with water running down the windows like it did to our previous unit. The thermos are a great investments just to get rid of the running water down the glass. When its 70F inside the window temperature has been 66F, great for condensation control.

porthole

Retired
I think you will find that most ordered units without the DP windows may be dealer stock. It is an option you really can't see or touch and it bumps the price up enough that a trailer with sitting next to a trailer without may be overlooked as being too expensive.

As with others, didn't have them on the last trailer, have them now and will have them on the next.

ParkIt

We got a dealer stock and no dual pane but as soon as we can afford the retrofit they are going in. Condensation (know from the 3 single pane in my old MH) was a pita to keep up with and not as sound proof and at an RV show there was a Cyclone with dual pane, you stepped inside and couldn't hear the crowd outside. Worth the extra cost and minimal weight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Has anyone actually had a retrofit done on their rig? Curious what the cost would be and where you'd have to go to get it done.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes John, I know of one that did change out to dual pane windows. If I recall the cost was in the neighborhood of 5k.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes John, I know of one that did change out to dual pane windows. If I recall the cost was in the neighborhood of 5k.

Peace
Dave

I guess you'd really have to like the rig you have, along with the need, to put that much into upgrading the windows. So far, for us, the single panes have not been a problem. But we haven't had to run the A/C continuously, either, for more than a few days at most. We haven't had a condensation problem when doing that.

But knowing what I know now, I'd order a new rig to my specs and not buy from dealer stock again.

jbeletti

Has anyone actually had a retrofit done on their rig? Curious what the cost would be and where you'd have to go to get it done.

I know of one a number of years back that was $2200. I'd guess it would be in the $3k range.

Jim

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Dual Pane windows are most common on the Canadian units and some units going to northern US, however you will have a hard time finding dealers with dual panes in dealer inventory. The Dual Pane windows have very minimal R-Value increase over the single pane windows, however you do reduce the condensation on the windows, and it does dampen some outside noise. Which ever way you decide to go we would love the opportunity to earn your business and welcome you to the Heartland family.

danemayer

We've got dual pane windows on our Rushmore. I don't know what the R-value is, but I can tell you that we had almost no condensation or frost on the inside of the windows while in Colorado this past winter. After 5 weeks with most nights below zero and some nights as low as 30 below zero, and running a humidifier inside, We're very happy with the dual pane windows.