LP system leaks gas when the tanks are removed.

I have a 2011 3800. It has 2 LP tanks. When I remove a tank, Gas leaks out of the line. Then when I replace the tank and remove the other tank it also leaks gas out of the line. I move the control valve left and right and middle with no change in the flow of the gas.

does anyone one know anything about this. I just got my trailer back from the shop after it sat there for 5 weeks because of Heartlands slow response on getting them parts. So I really do not want to have to give it back for another couple of weeks.

Thank you

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
R U sure it was Heartland that was slow in sending parts or was your dealer slow in ordering them. It has been many on the Forum's experience the slowness is usually on the part of the Dealer rather than Heartland. Regarding your LP problem I guess I do not understand what you are saying. R u saying the tank leaks when the hose is removed or the line leaks? If the line leaks and the other tank is still hooked up and open it sound like the regulator may be bad.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
monicarick, sorry to hear of the delay in receiving parts. As Jim mentioned, we hear things like this and often find out later it's a dealer issue. Also there are times that the parts needed are not a item readily available.

I just had my water heater worked on. I asked the dealer, "when would you like me to bring in the trailer so you can get to it". I was told to bring it in the next Monday. I had told the dealer what the problem was and what I had done to trouble shoot the problem. After hearing what I had done, the dealer said it sounded like a control board. They have them in stock!!! It took 16 days to get my trailer back and that was only after I had pestered them twice.

Regarding your LP issue. When you disconnect a tank, the procedure is to have that little black valve pointing towards the other tank. If this is what you're doing and you still have LP coming out of the regulator, there is a problem with the regulator. You also should have the valve closed on the tank you are removing. Regulators are available at your dealer or on line and are easy to replace on your own. Around $35

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is it free flowing or do you just smell it? There is some residual pressure left in the pigtail, even after switching the regulator knob and turning off the tank. Once it bleeds out when you disconnect the tank, you'll smell the odorant for a while around the compartment.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Just something to note, If you turn the valve too fast it doesn't work right. Our Sundance is the first owned that had automatic valve between tanks. When I got the walk around from the dealer I was told this. I don't know if its true or not, but they told me to listen for a click and then remove the bottle. Said if you don't it will drain the tank that is still connected.

There is a definate click when you turn the valve, just heard it when I removed the bottle about an hour ago.

YES, I am absolutly sure for I had to call Heartland 3 times to see where the parts were. In addition to the first problems I now have 3 more. I wish Japan made RV's.