Trailer brake gain

heartshot

Is there a way to increase the brake gain on a Heatland landmark 5th wheel...or on my.
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I used to have the Chevy stock trailer brake gain setting to around a 5 or 6 and it was perfect...any higher and the trailer brakes would lock up.
This year I have the setting all the way up to the max 10 and I can not lock up the trailer brakes ....it needs to have additonal braking assitance.
I assume there is a potentiometer screw on one or the other to increase or decrease the mili volts input signal.

TedS

Have you checked or done a trailer brake adjustment to take up for the brake wear?

Northern Virginia
Yea, it time to adjust your trailer's brake shoes. Just need a jack, a screw driver and a few hours.

John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing comes to mind after the adjustment as mentioned above. Have you or anyone else used the Easy Lubes on the axles? You may have a blown seal and contaminated the shoes with grease.
Had to ask.

Peace
Dave

heartshot

I Thank You all for your input.
I will try the brake shoe adjustement mentioned below! Although, this camper has VERY low miles... I am sure anything is possible ....and this sounds like a very good place to look.
Anyone know of a written procedure for this?
I assume it is going to be a "slotted" wheel that I am going to turn to adjust...just like the old self adjusting brakes on cars?
Thanks Again

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is just like the old drum brakes on cars.
In case you need a written procedure, I have attaced the manual. Page 10 has the brake adjustment. Heed the warnings.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• 11-10-10-TrailerAxle-Web.pdf
    901.4 KB · Views: 64

hoefler

When new, you will experience what seems to be greater wear as the shoes seat into the drums. After the first 200 miles or so will be the greatest seat in time depending on how much the brakes are used. Then the next 3000 miles or so they will be fully seated. You should be good to go then for annual adjustments.

lwmcguir

Check your ground as well. Oftentimes it may need to be loosened, cleaned and tightened. Volt/Amp meter at the brakes will tell you if you are getting the current you need.