Gas hook up for camp stove and grill

GHoyt

My question is has anyone out there installed an extension to the gas system on their camper. My North Country has an access point in the front area, uner the storage door. I would like to install a line that can be split so I can hook up my grill and outdoor camp stove. What items will I need? My dealer sold me a quick connect, but this seems to be the wrong size and not exactly what I wanted. Let me know if you have done this and what hardware I need.

Geodude

I just did exactly what you're describing. After putzing around with it myself and getting nowhere, I went over to a local BBQ shop and told them what I wanted to do and boom, half an hour later I had a 2' hose to connect to the trailer, a T at the end of that to feed a 5' hose to the propane stove, and a 20' line to feed my Baby Q.

danemayer

I have extension hoses that connect my grill to one of the onboard propane tanks so I don't have to use the small propane bottles. Camping world sells the hose that has the correct fittings. Here's another source. I also have a 10' extension hose that lets me position the grill at a comfortable distance away from the RV. The extension hose was made for me by a propane dealer.

I've also seen (but haven't purchased) a 3way fitting that would allow me to tee off the existing feed to the regulator without having to disconnect the propane tank. I think this is the fitting with 12' hose. I think Camping World probably also carries it.

You may have a somewhat different requirement, but Camping World, or propaneproducts.com, or a local propane dealer can probably supply what you want.

mountain1

I have a coleman grill that uses the little bottles. I purchased one of the hoses from CW and used it maybe twice. Started having trouble with the regulator. When I ordered the new regulator the lady at coleman told me they did not recommend the hoses to a larger tank but to stay with the little bottles. I am not sure I understand why?

rebootsemi

I have a coleman grill that uses the little bottles. I purchased one of the hoses from CW and used it maybe twice. Started having trouble with the regulator. When I ordered the new regulator the lady at coleman told me they did not recommend the hoses to a larger tank but to stay with the little bottles. I am not sure I understand why?

Probably the problem is that your coleman grill has a regulator in the bottle hookup, if you connect this to a hose and then to your regulated trailer gas supply your grill will not work correctly. Two regulators in series does not work, they will cycle and you will not get correct pressure for the grill to work. Is your trailer outside gas hookup regulated? If it is you do not need the coleman regulator, problem with this is coleman does not make a adapter to go straight to the grill form another source. I have a coleman roadtrip grill and had to make a adapter to connect directly to the trailer supply.

pegmikef

If the gas outlet is after the regulator then the line is low pressure and you need a grill with no regulator. I know people have converted their webers to work with the outlet and I have an Olympian 5500 that works well and comes with no regulator and has a hook up hose. When I was trying to find the correct fittings, I found that the low pressure (after the regulator) quick connect fittings tend to be one quarter inch while the high pressure (before the regulator) are 3/8 inch. Most dealers carry the 3/8 inch ones. Mr. heater was one source I found, but my grill came with the correct fittings because it is low pressure.

pegmikef

Thanks for the advice. Did you install a quick connect to the gas line on the trailer?

Mine came with a TEE already plumbed in the line, but it had a plug instead of a fitting. I ended up ordering the quick connect fitting from Heartland and had to buy a couple of pieces (a bushing and connector) at Lowes to reduce the installed line to fit the connector. The connector Heartland sent me has a built-in shutoff valve on it. The hose that came with my grill has the correct fitting for the quick connect I got from Heartland. Heartland told me that they now only install the quick connectors on rigs that have ordered the grill option.

rebootsemi

Thanks for the advice. Did you install a quick connect to the gas line on the trailer?

The Sundance came with the QC connector with shut-off valve, it is located under the frame behind the wheels on the curb side, all I have to buy was hose and a male propane QC fitting, which I bought at a local RV dealer.