ATF: Big Country - Landing gear replacement rocker switch wiring question....

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Heartland,

I am on my 3rd landing gear rocker switch for my 2011 BC 3250TS. The switch I just received to replace the 2nd defective switch seems to be a better quality switch, however the wire color codes are different. The original switch has 2 black, 1 pink and 1 red.......the new has 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green and 1 yellow.

What goes to what? Thanks!!

Lance.....a very happy Heartland owner!!!! :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 103

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi Lance - I'd call the factory and see if the Product Manager can help you decipher the colors.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the switch is completely different then you will need the wire color codes. If the terminals on the switch are the same then hook up the wires in the same order and give it a whirl.

lduguay

Hey Ted,

The schematic IS the original switch and would be great if the wires seemed to match wiring "pattern"...... here are pics of the replacement switch.....jumpers are different locations.:confused:

I am sure this makes sense to an electrician....me, I am good at matching colors and putting square blocks in square holes :rolleyes:

Can anyone make sense of which colors would connect to the original red/pink/2 blacks?

Thanks!!

photo1.JPGphoto2.JPG

Bob&Patty

Lance, its hard to tell from your pix. Does each switch have same amount of terminals? Do both switches say retract and extend?? If so, I would bet money, marbles or chalk that if you switch the wire terminals one at a time from the old switch to the new switch (forget colors) it just might work. Start on either side (extend or retract) and swap them terminal to terminal. When you test it just quickly hit the rocker switch. Don't hold it until you let all the smoke out of the wires. If you have a crossed wire...the worst thing that should happen is you trip the circuit breaker. If you are afraid to try it....send me a PM with your PH# and maybe I can walk you through. Oh, BTW, do you have a 12V test lite handy??

lduguay

Hey Bob,

Good idea....I will need to take a look at the switch to see if terminals match up. The schematic that Ted linked looks like jumpers go to different pins then the new switch.

I like the "feel" of this switch vs. the 2 originals I have/am replacing.....this switch does not have the "extend/retract".....it has "Landing Legs Control" at top of toggle.

I certainly do not want to burn up anything in the electrical!! The BC is at the storage facility so may take a day or 2 to view. Also, I do not have 12 volt test light but do have a Harbor Freight nearby :)

Thanks for the "sage" wisdom and I might be doing the PM when I get a chance to get hands on.

Lance

SilverRhino

Were the wires on the new switch a lighter gauge than your original switch? I received a replacement from the factory for my 2010 BC 3250 and the wires are a much smaller gauge......I haven't called HL to check on it yet, wondered if yours was the same.

lduguay

Hey Randy,

I have not done a side by side comparison yet as the 3250 is in storage, but I think it may be a lighter gage wire. I like that the switch seems to be more substantial than original......did they send you the same switch I received? (see pic in starter post)

When I finally get to the BC to get "hands on", I will get this figured out......was just hoping for a quick forum answer. I guess when I DO get this figured out this post WILL be a "quick fix answer" for someone else.....I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! Thanks for all the input !!!

Lance

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'm pretty sure that switch is configured to control hydraulic landing gear. If you have electric, then you will need to reconfigure the jumpers on the switch to look like the original Lippert diagram.

SilverRhino

Lance;

What they sent me is the same as yours, except the backing plate is white to match my 2010 model. The wire gauge looks to be 16 or 18 while my original was 6 or 8!!

I thought maybe this was for a hydraulic front landing gear.....thought they might be able to get by with a lighter gauge wire. The switch does seem better.....but the thin wire worries me. My theory on the problems that I have had with my switch is the fact it is mounted on the front of the trailer with no cover to portect it from water spray and / or dust and dirt.

When I do replace mine, I plan on mounting it in the propane compartment to protect it from the elements. Mine has been temporarily fixed due to the original shorting out ( Actually "temp" means about 18 months!). I rigged up a bypass in the front storage compartment......works but it is a pain! Repairing this has not been an "A" priority and now that I'm finally getting around to it, I'm not sure the factory sent me the correct harness.

Randy

Last edited:

lduguay

Randy,

I agree with your theory!! I was thinking about getting a cover similar to the rear elec stabilizer switch cover and using the existing hole.....I had not thought about the propane compartment....good option!

Regarding the wire, with it being only 12 volt, is that a real concern?? I am NOT an electrician so will defer to others sage wisdom.

Since you have this same replacement switch, have you figured out which wires you will be connecting to the original blk/blk/red/pink??

I am thinking that I will wait till you hook yours up.........please let me know if it blows up! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input!!!

Lance

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lance;

When I do replace mine, I plan on mounting it in the propane compartment to protect it from the elements. Randy

I don't know if mounting a switch in the propane compartment is a good idea. I think there is a reason why the tanks are isolated and ventilated.
Unless you know that you have an "explosion proof" switch, I would not recommend doing that.
If your switch is exposed, you can get a little plastic compartment with a door, and mount your switch in it.
I am not an electrician, but these are just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I agree with Dave, be very carefull about the chance of arking. We just had a boat explode from the same situation. They had a fuel leak when they fueled and the fans didn't clear it out enough. 3 people in Pittsburgh hospital with burns, a baby with broken ribs and legs and one died. So think twice about the propane compartment.

lduguay

Yep......propane compartment is definately OFF the placement option list. I will be looking for a cover for new switch....any suggestions on covers and best place to purchase from?

Still waiting for a color matchup for the orig blk/blk/red/pink wiring to new blue/green/yellow/red wiring???? Any definitive answer from the silent "factory".......since this IS an "Ask the Factory" post........:confused:

Bob&Patty

Lance, call HL parts and order one. My Horn has the cover over the switch just like the rear jacks do. You could probably get one from a RV store. Call HL service and maybe they can tell you what wire color goes where.

SilverRhino

Point well taken about the propane compartment......Picked up a small doored compartment that is used on the Big Horn this morning from my RV Dealer! Now to call HL service to check on the wire gauge......my original is 10 gauge and the replacement switch is wired with 18 gauge. Then I'll worry about the placement of the wires.

Lance: You can "burn" wires in a 12 volt system if the amp load is too high for the wire gauge.

lduguay

Propane........wire gage.............amps/volts...........so many questions and so little time!! :rolleyes:

Randy, let me know what you find out on wiring and I will let you know what/if I learn anything from my end. Thx

Lance

SilverRhino

Lance;

Spoke with David in HL Service this morning concerning the differences in the Landing Gear wiring harnesses. He told me that he has heard of this difference, but he would need to check into it. David asked that I send him pictures of the two switches so that he could check with the parts department.

I asked him the following questions:

1) Will the lighter gauge wire harness work safely in my 2010 BC ?
2) If this harness will work, how do the Blue,Green,Yellow & Red wires relate to the Black,Black,Pink & Red wires of the original harness ?

Hopefully I will hear something back from him tomorrow. If and when I learn anything definitive, I will pass it on.

Randy

Travel Safe!

lduguay

Randy,

That is awesome.....I am out of town this week on business and will not have a chance to get my hands into my BC till this weekend. I will look forward to hearing their response and hopefully get a green light to switch my switch!! :)

Thx!!

Lance